Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low n slow eye of round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low n slow eye of round?

Saw 5-7 lb whole eye of round roasts on sale dirt cheap..., anyone have any experience cooking these long, low& slow to medium rare? Do they get tender at all enough for slicing? I see them on the SV channel, but that’s a little too fancy for me

I've done rounds numerous times.
    Depending on the mood of my BKK I smoke them from 250-300, try to keep it low though.
    My dry rub, usually cherry or pecan.
    On to the smoker right out of the fridge, turn the roast every 45 mins to an hour, pull at 130 inside temp that should be rarer, and cambro for two hours or so.
    Usually a 3 hour or so cook, they don't take long.
    They do slice easily but should be thinly sliced.
    You get a real smoky taste from rounds, my family loves them.

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      Reasonably tender?

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Tenderish, slicing it thin helps solve that

I'm with smokin fool here, I've cooked it before and I'm happy with the results. I cook these low 'n slow, just like you would a tenderloin. That also means you only cook it until done (like a beef tenderloin). Do not let it get too high in temp, otherwise it's tough and chewy. And slice it thin.

Another way to cook it is to do a Faux Carpaccio. Just give the surface a quick sear, let it cool off, and slice it very thin and serve as a Carpaccio.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Love me some Carpaccio and steak tartare.

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik thanks! That’s what I was wanting, thinking I’ll skip the wood chunks, cook at 210-220 and pull at 125 or so, on the rare side.... I’m game for Carpaccio, but the wife isn’t—-just recently got her eating medium rare... she used to want her steaks medium well, finally broke that habit, but I gotta take baby steps, lol.... ideas on flavoring? Wanting a prime rib type flavor, not bbq

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I use smoke myself, due to a short cook it won’t be heavy. Use any good steak rub.

Never smoked but I think eye of round is best cooked as low a heat as possible.

Comment

Haven't tried smoking it yet. You would get it more tender going like brisket, except that there isn't much intramuscular fat, so I'd be afraid of it being hard as a dead carp by 190. I like brazing it, so with that thought you could try a foil pan and some kind of brazing liquid with BBQ sauce type flavors.
      Last edited by JCGrill; July 5, 2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup At 190 or would be concrete
        130 is ideal every so often I’ll miss 130 and at 140 it’s over done

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks @ JCGrill I’m specifically wanting a medium rare slicing roast, nothing more done than that! If I want 190, I’ll do another chuckie ... I’m thinking I’ll try low n slow & no bbq spice, maybe more like prime rib seasoning

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        smokin fool I hear you there, thinking I’d pull at 125, tops... rather have on the rare side than more medium

The other idea if you have it is sous vide, I'm sure it would be a great QVQ.

Comment

I’ve been cooking my eye roasts on a rotisserie until medium rare. Will wrap and refrigerate overnight and then slice really thin for roast beef French dips. I buy black angus Choice and they come out very tender cooked this way.

Comment

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          dshaffes you don’t have any pics, do you? I’m trying to explain to my wife what I’m trying to do, but I think she’s thinking more bbq

• dshaffes
          dshaffes commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually just did another for tonight’s dinner! For my rub, I used some fresh ground pepper and kosher salt along with some Goya Sazonador seasoning finished with a little Montreal steak. I pulled the roast at 130, wrapped it in plastic wrap and in the fridge for a few hours. I used my deli slicer to cut thinly, and then used for French Dip sandwiches.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on rotisserie for the round.

Don’t be afraid to coat these rounds in literally tons of dry rub or bbq spice whatever you are using this cut has always handled well for me anyway
        the end cuts with the bark and crust of dry rub are the bomb

Comment

All I'm trying to say is that this isn't a tender cut. So if you are cooking to 125-140 and you are not using sous vide, go low and slow all you want, but it won't help you much. Thus the thin slicing everyone is talking about. Not trying to discourage your plan, it obviously has been done by others the way you are discussing.

Comment

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            Only one way to find out, I guess, lol 😎 I planned to slice thin, and I realize it isn’t ever gonna be like a rib roast! I think y’all have answered my question, now the only way to know if I’ll like the result is to cook & eat one! Stay tuned😎

Depend on the roast too, a chunk of round cooks better than a rolled round.... or is it vice versa????
          Anyway give her a go

Comment

Gentlemen and Ladies,

How do you accomplish this thin slicing you speak of?

Is there any particular type of knife you use, or do you use some kind of mandolin or slicer ???

Thanks.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              brisket swords make it easier to get a thing clean cut (14-20+ inch carving knives) but you can do it with a chefs knife too.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Like this: https://dalstrong.com/products/ss-12-in-slicer
              Last edited by EdF; July 7, 2020, 07:49 AM.

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Slicing it semi-frozen, if you're not planning to serve it while still hot or warm from the cook, would also help. BTW, it might also be good in a Chinese chrysanthemum pot arrangement. I've had tenderloin that way but never EOR.

Yes I have one of those long *#$ slicing knives, thanks for the tip.

Comment

I have an 8” camping knife I use for everything, need to invest in another, but any sharp knife will shave meat if you have skill & patience

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                skill & patience....crap, I'm out....

I use it for jerky. 😀

Comment

I've done Low and Slow to 140 or so then chill. Serve it cold and sliced thin and it reminds me of Dried Beef, just not cured. I've also done it it in the SV bath and then smoked and chilled with good results. IMO it's much better than buying cold roast beef.

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve taken to 140 a few times, by mistake usually, not paying attention, still pinky inside but not as juicy I find. Still tasty though

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here