Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket temp is 206....203.....189....depending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket temp is 206....203.....189....depending

Hi folks, this is my second brisket cook. The first one, thanks to some of you folks, went fantastically. One guest said it was better than brisket from Mission BBQ...which is an eastern regional bbq restaurant chain. I wrapped that one in butcher's paper for the second stage. I consider that one a team success with you being my wingman (no bbq pun intended).

For this one, hung it in the drum over night. Got up, took a temp reading and it says 206 on some parts, less so in others. What do I do? Should the 205 mark/goal be reached by the lowest common denominator? Even if it means other parts might end up at 215 or so?

Thanks

Answers to a few quest might help folks give good advice. Is this a flat, point or fill packer? Where on the brisket are the particular readings taken? Are any or all of the places probe tender?

Comment

The point cooks faster than the flat, but with lots of intramuscular marbling, it can take it. Cook until the flat is probe tender. That could happen anywhere from 195° to 210°. 203° or 205° are guides - or suggestions... Probe tender is what you want.

Comment

Good points, guys. Cooking flat and point.....the flat is reading at 188-189 in several spots.....the point reading is higher. "Probe tender" meaning a practically friction-free poke of the probe?

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Feels like inserting a toothpick into soft butter.

If the lower-temp parts don't want to rise up to the 200+/- level, they might not need to. Hanging out at 190-195 long enough will soften it, part of cooking brisket is giving the heat time to work its magic on the tough collagen and fats. Time at higher temps will render them. So I agree with the 'probe tender' suggestions. It might not literally be as soft as butter, it's not butter it's meat, but it will slide in very easy so you know it's soft meat. Or, you might just cook until the cooler spots do get to 200+/-, then do the 1-2hr 'faux cambro hold', even if the point gets higher (meat shouldn't get to anything over 212). This could end up making the point end a tad crumbly or shred-worthy more so than sliceable.

Comment

At about 1pm, the temp in the flat reach about 203 and it felt about right.....about 16 hours. Did not wrap, just let it hang in the pit the entire cook. Turned out to be some good eats. Thanks everyone. Sliced it (the flat) up as a side meat for the eaters. Thinking of making some burnt ends with the point...have not tried that before but doing some research on amazingribs.com.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here