Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Fajitas -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Fajitas -

Flank steak or skirt? What's your opinion?

Who has a fajita marinade that they really like. I normally just by my fajita meat from the carneceria around the corner, but they are closed for covid. It's a little mom and pop shop.

I like both or either flank or inside skirt. As for marinade you need lots of soy and citrus. Try sourcing Dale’s marinade in your grocery or just use soy sauce along with fresh lemons, limes and even oranges.

Comment

I personally like skirt. Although flank is good and i use that as well. But, given the choice, I’d pick skirt.

I don’t really make fajitas, per say. I usually make a board sauce. But the meat is pretty much the same, so I usually just use SPOG and a bit of ancho chile powder or guajillo powder and olive oil and grill it up. But, I will throw in some citrus, either lime or orange juice to help with a bit of flavor.

enjoy those fajitas!
      Last edited by barelfly; July 3, 2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Skirt was $13.99/lb at my local butcher yesterday. <facepalm>

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Dios mio!

Sorry this isn't beef, but it is one of my wife & I's favorite chicken fajita marinades, from grandbaby-cakes.com. I've wondered how it would fair with beef but haven't experimented.

Credit grandbaby-cakes.com, link: https://grandbaby-cakes.com/grilled-...-lime-chicken/

Prep Time: 3 hours
        Cook Time: 20 minutes
        Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes

Servings: 4 people
        Calories: 494kcal

Ingredients
        • 1 cup tequila
        • 1 cup fresh lime juice
        • 1 tbsp lime zest
        • 1/2 cup orange juice
        • 1/4 cup olive oil
        • 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
        • 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
        • salt to taste
        • pepper to taste
        • 2 tsp paprika
        • 2 tsp garlic powder
        • chopped cilantro for garnish

Instructions
        • Whisk together tequila, lime juice, lime zest, orange juice, olive oil and worchestershire sauce until combined.
        • Pour marinade into large plastic storage bag then submerge chicken, close storage bag and store in refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight for more intensified flavor.
        • When ready to grill, remove chicken from marinade and season with salt and pepper, and evenly with paprika and garlic powder.
        • Grill chicken on all sides until cooked through then remove from grill, cover with foil and rest to allow juices to settle. Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime zest and serve.

Nutrition
        Calories: 494kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 117mg | Potassium: 460mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 755IU | Vitamin C: 34.7mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.6mg

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Uncle Bob I would have to 100% agree with that scientific approach

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          A little tequila for the meat.
          A little tequila for the cook

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          Is this rationing of tequila a Covid thing?

My wife and I love Rachel Ray's take on fajitas. Great marinade and the onions in lime juice are a killer topping:

Official website of Rachael Ray and home to all of Rachael&#39;s favorite things. From cookware and recipes to fashion, furniture and more.

Comment

A favorite of ours:

3 Lbs flap or skirt steak. Flank is a little thick for our tastes, but will work fine if thinly sliced after cooking.
          1/2 cup lime juice
          1/3 cup vegetable oil
          1/2 cup tequila
          4 cloves garlic pressed or minced
          1 Tbs ground cumin
          1 tsp dried oregano
          1/2 tsp ground pepper

Mix marinade into a large ziplock, put in meat and marinade for at least 4 hours - overnight is best.

Veggies to complement:
          Red, green, yellow peppers sliced into strips
          1-2 yellow onions sliced
          Green onions - whole using root end to baste meat when you grill it hot and fast. Then grill quickly when the meat is ready to serve with the other veggies.

Grill veggies with a little of the marinade, then meat hot and fast. Warmed tortillas and libations of choice!

Obviously remove meat and do not use leftover marinade except a small amount for basting the meat and coating the peppers and onions before you grill them.

Comment

Flap meat is very good and about half the cost of skirt.

Comment

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure I've seen flap meat before. But I probably haven't looked for it. Will have to pay attention

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here