Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket

Never tried brisket before. Used my Bronco drum, did the "Hot and Fast". around 300-325. cooked for just over two hours, then wrapped and added mop. total cook time 4.5 hours. Pulled off the smoker at internal temp 210. let rest for 2 hours. Next time I let it rest longer, and use more dry rub. Still, for my first brisket, I am very happy. Better than most I have had at restaurants. Thanks to this site for the help. also, homemade burnt ends are the absolute best.....
    Attached Files

Awesome, thats a fast cook! Looks great!

Comment

Wow! Brisket in 4 hours! I like it! And I like the looks of that brisket there! Enjoy!

Comment

Great bark - and far far faster than I've ever done a brisket! Most of mine take 14-16 hours... but I am doing 225 to 250, almost 100 degrees less than your cook.

So was the brisket fall apart tender? Was wondering as it looks like you decided to chop it up rather than slice it?

Comment

• Surly Viking
          Surly Viking commented
          Editing a comment
          It was not quite fall apart tender. I think resting it a bit longer would have made it easier to slice. The chopped up in the pan is the burnt ends, kind of. rookie mistake. I will add a pic of some slices.

Here are some slices. It was pretty tender. But the "pull test" would only have passed on about half of the brisket. It was a bit uneven, with some almost falling apart. I am sure the high heat had something to do with it.
        Still, tasted very good, and I was happy with the bark. All in all, a much more fun day than working.
        I think I make Brisket and Pulled Pork both for my next batch of chili.

Ribs tomorrow.....
        Attached Files

Comment

Great write up I have a small chunk of brisket I'm planning to do next week, will follow your road map

Comment

Great job. Do another one as soon as you can so you don't forget what you learned on this cook.

Comment

Nice first brisket! You'll be doing another one soon, I bet. They're fun to cook.

And enjoy that brisket chili. It's so delicious. I use Malcolm Reed's recipe for Smoked Chili, where brisket works just as well as the chuck roast it calls for: https://howtobbqright.com/2017/11/02...-chili-recipe/ . The spicy breakfast sausage puts it over the top.

Kathryn

Comment

• Surly Viking
                Surly Viking commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! Looks like a good chili recipe.

Great first attempt but from what I see and hear you saying I’d say it needed more time in the smoker not resting. Ramping down gradually is important but that’s only after you have fully rendered the fat and connective tissue.

Regardless that’s a great looking first blush !!

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. Hot n fast is good , but you also need time to render at high temps. Ramping down works good.

• Surly Viking
                Surly Viking commented
                Editing a comment
                I will try lower temp/longer smoke next time. I was concerned about the Bronco running out of fuel, but in the summer it can easily go 10 hours.
                FYI leftovers were amazing today, and they are gone.

When you wrapped - how much mop sauce did you use?

That's the way the video on the PBC site does it. At some point, if you add (enough/too much} liquid, you'll start braising the meat. I think that's how he does a brisket in 6 hrs at what I assume is 270.

Not saying thats what you did, or even that that's a bad thing. But it will change the texture.

My mother in law cooks brisket in the oven, at 350, covered in bbq sauce. It basically braises and takes about 4 hrs. I don't think it's as good as smoked but it's what my wife likes. It definitely pulls apart.

Glad your first brisket was tasty!!

Comment

• Surly Viking
                Surly Viking commented
                Editing a comment
                I used one can of consume, and about 4 oz mop/bbq sauce.
                I followed this guys recipe, since I did not see a lot of brisket videos on the bronco

Also read up a lot here. I will try a low n slow. I wanted an easy cook for the first attempt, and the texas crutch with mop turned out an easy and tasty meal. always looking to get better.

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                If it's tasty and easy..... Just keep doing what you're doing.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here