Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making pastrami -- should I "hold" the flat for a few hours like regular brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making pastrami -- should I "hold" the flat for a few hours like regular brisket?

I'm doing Meathead Close to Katz's recipe. Came out of the cure yesterday morning, and it's been drying uncovered in the fridge until I cook tomorrow. It's a 6 pound flat, so I'm going to cut it in half. Will follow both of the recipes: one steaming after it hits the stall, and the other will just take to 203 degrees. My question (as the subject line says) is when it hits 203, should I wrap in butcher paper and hold for a few hours like I would a regular brisket? Or do I not have to do that for pastrami? Thanks, and happy cooking!

I am never patient enough to hold it. I slice and eat.

Comment

I agree, why wait. The hold is more for texture, which is going to be a little different for pastrami anyway.

Comment

I've never done it for pastrami either.

Comment

I normally let it cool down a bit before slicing just so it doesn't shred but otherwise don't really need a formal hold per se.

Comment

Great to hear! Thanks, everyone! Final question, do I still pull at "probe tender," or is 203 degrees the magical number?

Comment

I think probe tender is the answer to everything in life, including pastrami.

Comment

Cooked the pastrami Friday. I loved it, and so did the wife and son. We all definitely preferred the smoked to probe tender over the smoked then steamed (but both were great). Also found an easy rye bread recipe online, so made a loaf. Plenty of mustard and we've been eating great for the past few days. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Click image for larger version

Name:	strami.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	876097

Name:	sliced.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	876098

Name:	bread.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	876099

Comment

That’s a beauty!

Comment

Nailed it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here