Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Tomahawk Steak This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Tomahawk Steak This Weekend

We finally managed to find it in the stores. I am excited! I am going to reverse sear it and then board sauce it. Just looking forward to it!
    Attached Files

Awesome! I did one for my birthday a year or two ago. Love the built-in handle for flipping.

Comment

Love them too. I recommend dry brining at least 24 hours. The last one I made I dry brined 48 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by 58limited View Post
        Love them too. I recommend dry brining at least 24 hours. The last one I made I dry brined 48 hours.

Sure. Basic kosher salt brine?

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, although I sometimes use the pink Himalayan salt too.

I would brine only kosher salt. Apply liberally then set in fridge for at least 24 hours uncovered so the air flow in the refrigerator can help dehydrate the meat for full flavor.

Comment

I'd cook it lower than normal before the reverse sear. Plan on it taking a while

Comment

When I opened the topic and saw that photo, the very first thing I thought was "Hello, my lovely!"

Have fun with that cook.

Kathryn

Comment

That is going to be so good.

Comment

Hate to be a nay sayer here, but although delicious, I have a hard time paying $15.99/lb for all that extra bone. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely a splurge but wanted to do one for years but could never find it.

Enjoy. Nothing like a good steak. Yum

Comment

Let us know how this cook turns out!

Every time I see one of these at Sam's Club I want to get it, but somehow I continue to resist... the issue mostly being that the wife likes her steak medium well, and I like mine medium rare, and it would be hard to do one of these giant steaks to both tastes. I might get one and cook it when my son and other kids that like it medium-rare are here, and have it for "the boys".

Comment

I've never done one before. What's the draw? Just the way it looks? Is there a difference in taste from a boneless ribeye? Like Jfrosty27 said, I'd hate to pay the extra cash for something I can't eat. Just curious.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                      Jfrosty27 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I will buy a bone in rib eye on occasion. But the bone is cut off right where the meat ends. I bet the naked bone weighs a half pound. That’s $8 worth.

• Red Man
                      Red Man commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’ve never bought one but...$8.00 for the extra coolness factor of the huge bone doesn’t seem that bad to me!

• Cheef
                      Cheef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Back in the good old days? You bought bone in from Sams Club $2 per pound cheaper than the ribeye setting right next to it in the case.

About the bone in ribeye--for me it's all about the "coolness factor" as Red Man says. I just want to grab it off the grill, wave it over my head and then take a big chomp out of it, cave-person style.

Kathryn

Comment

The next best thing after a nicely cooked and tasty steak is its presentation. This one reigns

Comment

Like others, I have yet to cook a tomahawk. I don’t see them often, and when I have, it was never the right time for it. But, one of these days I will. Because, yes, they are cool and should be done at least once. like Redman says!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here