Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pulled Chuck WSJ-style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Pulled Chuck WSJ-style

Today’s sacrifice to the meat gods! The last two of my BOGO Kroger chuckies had relatively smaller portions of the eye, so I’m gonna smoke these babies low n slow, wrap at the stall, and take them all the way up to "jiggly" & then pull them. Dry brined overnight, smothered with Cow Crust (+ 1 tbsp brown sugar for the bark), gonna try to keep the grill as close to 200 as I can
    Attached Files

Any reason for smoking that low at 200°? My pulled chuckies are happy even at 250-275°, and I'm seldom in a hurry when it comes to smoking. My PBC just likes to roll at those temps.

Kathryn

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc : the reason for the low heat is that I’m cramming both of these on my 14” Smokey Joe, and I don’t have much separation between the meat and the coals, so I’m trying to keep them cooking evenly by keeping temp low and rotating them .... my new Weber Kettle & SNS will be here Monday, then I’ll have the room!

So 4 hours in, & Ol Smokey’s cooperating great, cruising between 200-210... coming up close to 150, not much bark yet 😩, but guessing they’ll stall somewhere around 160 like the first one did, gonna wait until it’s definitely in the stall before crutching to maximize bark..
    Attached Files

Comment

Creeping up on 160, 5 hours in, getting that bark now!
      Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	13AFDB00-C445-4835-8B8D-912736E30D66.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	873271 Ok, hit the stall at 5.5 hrs, crutched both in some beef broth & cruising on toward nirvana!
        Last edited by patcrail; July 1, 2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

If you’re curious, crutching makes a difference: hit the stall maybe an hour ago, & 40 minutes ago, IT dropped from 155 to 151 and stayed... I pulled them, wrapped tight with a splash of broth, and put them back on, and in 40 minutes the temp is over 170 and climbing on!
          Attached Files

Comment

195, gettin close!

Comment

Ok... had to eat! So, took it to 207 IT, put it in my poor man’s faux Cambro ( I knew I saved that Porter Road insulated box for a reason!)
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Lovin that faux cambro, bro!

That's thinkin on yer feet!

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                That foam they use for insulation is great. So are the ice packs. They have found many, many uses.

It came out of the faux Cambro after an hour at 188, gorgeous bark, fell apart, and absolutely delicious!
              Attached Files

Comment

Is there a trick to make it pull nice? I just got out a pork butt and chuck roast tommorow. Wouldn't mind trying pulled chuck.

Comment

Macktechie The trick for me was bringing it up to about 205-207, then holding in an insulated cooler (faux Cambro) for a little over an hour to keep it tenderizing but not raising temp... it fell to about 190 in a little over an hour, would have held it two but we were hungry, and it fell apart taking the twine off

Comment

Macktechie , all the "tricks" are really in this recipe on the free site:
                    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...k-roast-recipe
                    That, and read all Meatheads brisket articles, and you’ll pretty much have all you need to make fall-apart chuck (treat it like a brisket, more or less, but carry it up to 205-207, wherever it gets probe tender & "jiggly", then hold it if you have time, but if not, it should be incredible! Mine fell apart just cutting the twine off!
                    Last edited by patcrail; July 1, 2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Nice Job, Pat;looks Dee-Licious!!!

Hail, I'm bettin even th twine was Tasty LOL

Comment

Looks fantastic! Really love the pics and the play by play. Thank you for the posts.

Comment

Wow. Nicely done. Chuckies are my favorite by far. Good work!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here