Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib roast for the 4th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib roast for the 4th!

Got a couple folks coming from out of town and celebrating 2 birthdays, all on the 4th this year.

With such a crappy spring in so many ways, I decided to splurge big-time and ordered a 7-lb boneless rib roast from our local butcher to make it a special day. They claim their "Choice" is "top 3% of Choice". No Prime available anywhere in our area. We'll be doing ribs on the 3rd.

Last time I did prime rib was Christmas a couple of years ago (edit - looks like that could have been Easter 2018):

Video of the sear.

A quick video of the final cut.

So this time I want to pump up the flavor as much as possible. I'm thinking of a dry brine overnight, but also injecting it. Is this "blasphemy" with a rib roast? I dunno, I don't think so, but I'm open to ideas.

I just ordered this:

I think that'll help me get the job done. I want to stick with the same kind of process - inject and brine, smoke for a few hours, then bag and sous vide.

Looking mainly for ideas on injection and rub, length of brine and how long should I sous vide, 24h or 36h or what do you think? If I get it Thurs, I can inject and let it brine overnight and still get about 36h in sous vide, or brine for 24 and sous vide for 24 - with still about 4h of smoke in there, too.

Looking for a true over the top rub that will work in the smoke/sous vide/sear without turning into mush or getting diluted out in the sous vide.

I dunno, I'm rambling. lol. Help me out, I want this to be a special one.

First of all, looks like some good beef to eat.
    Second, re: blasphemy...nonsense...if it made ya happy, an yer family, then it's all good, right?
    Cain't help ya with any SV advice, but there's many here who'm I'm sure will chime right in.

Comment

I know that some folks do inject beef rib roasts to add a little something to that bold beef flavor that many find bland. I know less than nothing about SV, however the process does inteterest me. Unfortunately the only value I could add would be in the consumption of the finished product which I would glady assist in.

Comment

I have never injected any of my rib roasts, not to I hot-tub. I will be serving burgers for lunch, and turkey for dinner. About as American as I can think of.

Comment

Well. Big pieces of meat need to dry brine at least overnight, but I doubt I'm going to get salt to penetrate all the way into the deep interior overnight. So I thought injecting just a bit of salt brine into the middle, or some concentrated beef broth with some salt (or MSG??) into the deep parts of the roast might be a good thing? Just to add a bit of flavor? I will probably be taking at least half of this roast when sliced and browning those slices to MW (now THAT'S blasphemy!), but I know at least 4 of my participants in the feast will not eat it MR or a solid M. So, I'll fire up the grill to Warp 9 and get them quickly seared once I cut slices for those folks.

Maybe I should just go with Montreal on the outside? We aren't huge fans of rosemary and such, which I know a number of folks use on prime rib coating. Last time it looks like I just did SPG.

I wanna find something good to justify my new injector purchase, so I gotta do SOMETHING to the meat.

Comment

Good luck with your cook, hope it comes out well. I ordered that same injector about two years ago and it broke on my first try. Had to reach into the drawer and pulled out an old plastic throw away kind to finish the job. Still using that one to this day!!

Hope you have better luck with yours

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              Well cripes! That's not good! I'll be getting my money back for sure if that happens.

DogFaced PonySoldier I have been pondering this pretty much the whole day. Do you have a larding iron/needle in your kitchen stash of goodies? Have you given a thought of larding the roast with a mix of vegetable (celery, onions, peppers, carrots). Kind of like in this video.

If you do not have a larding iron/needle you could use a sharpening steel in a pinch.
            When I have done this in the past I have always done it with lean cuts of meat and much smaller strips of vegetable than in that video. Besides the items I mentioned for potential items to lard the roast with in the past I have used cheese (freeze first its easier to get in the meat), pepperoni, and prosciutto.

Comment

I appreciate that idea, but cooking at a low temp won't allow veggies to do much.

The more research I've done, I think I'm just maybe going to inject some brine or beef broth a little and follow Meathead's article for sous vide rib roast. Just brine, sous vide, then Cow Crust and sear. I might smoke it a little first for some extra flavor.

I did go in today and change my order from a 7lb to a 10lb roast. I'll cut off the 'nose' and remove the spinalis/ribeye cap for another meal. This will cut down on the fattier parts a number of my guest won't want and give us nothing but the center eye to eat.

Should be good.

Comment

• tiewunon
                tiewunon commented
                Editing a comment
                Understand your concern with the veg especially concerning time vs temp. What I didn't make clear is use small thickness tooth pick in size slivers not like those big honking strips in the video. I have never used big strips. Larding & Barding is pretty cool learned it from my grandparents.

This is a stupid-long reply but I just get to thinking about this stuff...

I wouldn’t inject. I think if you cook to that perfect med-rare like that awesome pic you posted, your injection is going to leave track marks. A brisket or butt cooked to 203, you’re not going to see the injection. A gorgeous rosy rib roast is going to look like a nasty road map.

I also think at those low temps your injection won’t disperse well and you’ll be left with alternating bland and random intensely salty and metallic bites, especially with store-bought beef broth. Better off without that. You could try oil and/or butter injection, but a long SV will squeeze all of it out I’d think. And SV with fat always tends to dull flavors for me.

As for brining and getting seasoning all the way through, if you can dry brine 48-72 hours ahead in the fridge, that seasoning will absolutely get all the way to center, promise. Cover with some plastic wrap for the first 24-36 hrs if you’re worried about drying, but that salt definitely will get through if you start early enough.

Definitely don’t dry brine AND inject, unless the injection is salt-free, which is rare. And definitely don’t wet brine that thing, all the beef flavor will leech into the water and you’ll be pouring flavor down the drain.

As for flavor, SV is going to limit your crust options and hinder your maillard and carmelization potential, meaning limited flavor. So I’d consider a compromise where you dry rub after a dry brine, then reverse sear — a low smoke at 225* or so until about 110* internal to gently get to temp (slow, like SV) with the smoke flavor you want, and then finish with a high-temp sear for a nice intensely flavorful crust. Slice thinly to increase crust/flavor to meat ratio. For the rub: pepper, horseradish, dry mustard if you don’t like the herbs (or Meathead’s BBBR Is awesome, even without herbs if you like).

Or, if you’re determined to SV, and if you dry brine and then SV, there’s no denying you’ll have super-tender, well-seasoned beef, done this plenty too. I’d go for 24 hrs dry brine in fridge (just under 1% of meat weight in total salt, I’ve noticed sort of a cured texture if you use too much salt), then 24 hrs SV at 129 (fyi, some think this temp a bit low, look no further than Doug Baldwin for SV safety: https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html).

But with SV you need to add flavor after the fact (smoking before is useless, the flavor just disappears in the bath). I let it rest for 30 mins after the bath, then sear for a nice crust. Sadly the crust will be thin and not as tasty as reverse sear, so I think you need to add more flavor if you go this route.

For me that means 2-3 intensely flavored sauces for different tastes, such as a killer pan sauce/au jus, a great horseradish cream sauce, and if you have an extra 10 minutes, a homemade bearnaise, all of which are best made a day ahead (cut some scraps to brown for the pan sauce to make ahead).

Another thing that works well for me is taking about 45 minutes longer than promised so everyone has an extra drink and thinks the food is incredible because they’re ‘happy’ and half-starved. Learned that one from dad...happy 4th & good luck bro.

Comment

You just reminded me that I have a prime rib in the deep freeze that I got to cook for Christmas but never got around to... hmmm....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here