Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie brisket

Has anybody tried a brisket with a rotisserie, following the normal process with indirect heat? Would there be an advantage? Of course I would have to tie it up well.
    Just curious. I wonder if the spinning would effect the bark.

I haven't tried it, but there is something special about a rotisserie chicken I really like. I say go for it and report yer findings. You can also send me a hunk for a second opinion.

Comment

As long as you have a set up that allows you to control your heat/fire for a long time, heck, go for it! Be a pioneer!!!

Comment

I have had the same thought, as ive been messing around with my rotisserie lately. And i have a brisket in freezer...hmmm

Comment

Only problem I see is weight versus how strong your motor is, as well as balance. Hard to spin something big and floppy. But hey give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
            Only problem I see is weight versus how strong your motor is, aswell as balance. Hard to spin something big and floppy. But hey give it a go.
            I have a extra strong motor. I've spun a 22 pound turkey on it. I used a pair of vise grips to help with the balance. I tighten them to the end of the spit adjusting the the angle of the handle to the angle of the spit rod to get weight I need. Works real well.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, smart.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, quite the fart smucker indeed.

• kenrobin
              kenrobin commented
              Editing a comment
              What type of rotisserie motor do you have?

Works much better than the standard weight that comes with the rotisserie.​​​​

Comment

i think you've officially talked yourself into some homework

Comment

This is an interesting idea but I don't anticipate it to produce anything much different than regular methods - perhaps less bark depending on how you mount the meat. Both are smoking over indirect heat and both allow the heat and smoke to envelope the meat.

I think you'll have to figure out the temp at the height of the meat which will be different than the grate temp. But hell... try it! Why not?

Comment

It may be dizzy after along cook!

Comment

If you have butchers string bind it up loosely so it’s not flopping around but still kinda sorta aerodynamic it would work
                    Bark should form in the folds of flesh so to speak
                    May have to adjust the string every so often as the meat looses mass and shrinks

Comment

I have to agree with the hypothesis that simply in indirect heat it won't be worth the effort. Rotisserie chicken is supposed to be done over a more direct heat source and the spinning makes the stop-start-stop-start slow cook and the drippings do their magic. I can't imagine all indirect accomplishing this. I hypothesize, but I don't know.

Comment

I think you guys might be right. Rotisserie would not be the best idea for indirect heat.
                        So the grate it is. But thanks for your input. Maybe you saved a good brisket.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                          Ahumadora commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Visually I don't like rottisere meats as they often have lines from juice n fat circling the meat. I just don't see much advantage of cooking a brisket like this.

• holehogg
                          holehogg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I did and it turned out great. Was bone in brisket. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...pic-s-to-start

I put the pictures in SUWYC but I thought I would add a comment here with a little more detail...

Dad mentioned wanting to cook a brisket back around Christmas so we decided to do it President's Day weekend since it is a long weekend for me. After watching several YouTube videos on the subject we developed a game plan. We were figuring on a 10+ hour cook based on several of the videos we watched.

Started with an 11.6 lb. Prime brisket from Costco that was in the freezer. Trimmed it and seasoned it Saturday evening. Seasoned it with a 1:2:4 mix of Seasoned Salt, Kosher Salt and Coarse Black Pepper, this is definitely a keeper ratio.

Dad got the coals started a little before 5 got the brisket on the spit. Coals were in two Weber charcoal baskets, one on each side of the brisket, started with KBB. Brisket went on the smoker around 5:30. Temps ran hi for the first part put that could be by most of the coals being lit before adding the meat. Plus we checked on the brisket more than usual initially making sure it was rotating properly.

Around 8:00 coals were almost out so we added mostly B&B to the baskets. Also, added some water to the drip pan. Temps ran pretty smooth in the 270 to 290 with minimal adjustments needed.

Around 1:00 temps were starting to drop so before adding more coals we probed the meat. the point was butter soft and it all temped between 200 and 206. Brisket was pulled from the smoker, wrapped in foil and placed in a cooler to rest and hold.

Bark and flavor was great, point was perfect, the flat was a little dry. Probably could have come off about 30 min sooner. A wireless thermometer would have been helpful, just what i need is another thermometer, or are they like smokers, can't have too many.

Overall, this was definitely a success.

Click image for larger version  Name:	428638529_18322585264142138_3669172610020382880_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	608.6 KB ID:	1556231
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	428637919_18322585255142138_2610880721307825752_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	629.8 KB ID:	1556230
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	428631170_18322585273142138_1960135019393016964_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	438.8 KB ID:	1556229

Comment

• jfmorris
                          jfmorris commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks great, and thanks for laying out the process! I think I will spin a big hunk of meat soon!

• Livermoron
                          Livermoron commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hmmm...I love using the rotisserie...I might have to give this a shot...

• Finster
                          Finster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Damn You!
                          I've been contemplating getting a rotisserie, and keep convincing myself that I don't need it because chicken is probably the only thing I would use it for, and I already have several foolproof ways of doing chicken. You've just shot a gaping hole in that reasoning 😂
                          OMG, that looks soooo good

Congratulations! Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here