Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two small chucks for pulled meat: tie together or separate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two small chucks for pulled meat: tie together or separate?

So no more of those beautifully marbled chuck eyes in the bin today, but have two decent plain chucks with some nice marble, about 1.5 lbs each... gonna smoke low n slow tomorrow to 203 or more for pulled beef... any thoughts on tying them together as one big roast, or doing them together but separate pieces? I know they will finish quicker separate, and have more surface for bark, but on the flip side, I’m wondering if trussed together would slow the cook & make it more tender??? Ideas.

Separate. They'll cook fast and you get more bark.

I normally cut pork shoulders in half for that reason.
    Check out the blasphemy pulled pork, done a similar, but more extreme way

Comment

I say separate as well 😎

Comment

Thanks! As I thought about it after posting, I can’t see any reason not to get the xtra bark, BUT, I working with a Smokey Joe, so space is at a premium until my 22” arrives, so I’ll cook separate if I have space, unless anyone has a reason to tie together

Comment

I dont see any reason to tie together. Separate is def the way to go. Especially if the family likes bark.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            woof! woof!

Agree with all the above advice. Shorter cook time and it will turn out just as good.

Comment

Tie them up, individually into a roundish shape with butchers twine (or whatever you've got) if that will help fit into your grate space.

Comment

Comment

Tied together works real well with a rotisserie. Just try to make it a good shape.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here