Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burnt Ends Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt Ends Advice?

I have some guests coming over from out of town, and I promised I'd cook some brisket. With my Kamado Joe, Meathead's recipe, and a fireboard thermometer, I consistently make a good brisket.

But how do you make burnt ends? In the past, I've first cooked the whole brisket and then just eaten most of the flat that day. Then for leftovers, I'd cut up the already-cooked point into cubes and sauté them in fat and bbq sauce. That turns out great, but is there a better way to prepare them to eat On the first day when the flat is hot off the grill?

Whether I use point or chuck, I typically cook to the 180 to 190 range, pull it off and cube, then transfer to a foil pan, add my fixings, and cook on the smoker for a couple more hours. If you want to finish both at the same time, separate the point, and cook it a day early, then make the burnt ends the next day near the end of your brisket cook.

Comment

Take a look at this video. Lots of excellent advice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVOh8430oCs

Comment

• Jared49
        Jared49 commented
        Editing a comment
        See, I would eat his burnt ends!!

What works for me is if I’m wanting to make burnt ends I’ll remove the point from the flat and cook them separately. When the point is finished I’ll cut the burnt edges of the point into little chunks and put them in a foil pan with some beef broth and a little bbq sauce, cover and braise for a few mins. Then take out of liquid, place on a wire rack back on the cooker for 5-10 mins to tack up. It’s a labor of love!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dadof3Illinois View Post
        What works for me is if I’m wanting to make burnt ends I’ll remove the point from the flat and cook them separately. When the point is finished I’ll cut the burnt edges of the point into little chunks and put them in a foil pan with some beef broth and a little bbq sauce, cover and braise for a few mins. Then take out of liquid, place on a wire rack back on the cooker for 5-10 mins to tack up. It’s a labor of love!!!
        That is what Ricardo's video demonstrates; thanks!

Comment

• Ricardo
          Ricardo commented
          Editing a comment
          @(Analytics),
          Malcom Reed is a tremendous resource. You may want to explore his YouTube channel, which is called: HowToBBQRight

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on Malcoms YouTube channel. There’s a ton of Information on his channel and others. Experimenting with different cooks and finding what works for your taste is what makes barbecue cooking fun!!

When I have made burnt ends I cut the point up when the flat is done. Then into a foil pan with bbq sauce and beer I am drinking and finish in the oven. I just keep checking on it while continuing with beer until I am happy with it. Has never failed.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          How does the oven feel? I’ve never actually been able to fit inside a standard size oven.
          Does the beer taste better?
          Does the foil pan add anything to the party?
          How many beers does it take to make you happy?
          So many questions. 😁

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here