Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today’s project: medium-rare Chuckie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If y’all have a Kroger nearby, they have chuck roast BOGO through tomorrow.... they DON’T separate the chuck eye from the rest of the shoulder, so you have to look close, and maybe 1-2 in 20 will have this marbling, but if they do, you’ll absolutely love it—- don’t treat it like a chuck! It’s a thick-cut ribeye with a little bit of tough chuck on the edge ! Delicious medium rare

Comment

Very much enjoyed yer experiment, an so glad it turned out so well fer ya, amigo!

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, brother, and double thanks for all yer help so far! I just hope some of the folks telling me "you’ll be sorry if you try to pull a chuckie medium rare" actually get a chance to try a chuck eye that way—- it’ll change your life! Damned shame they are so small because the muscle stops a couple inches into the chuck, or it would be am incredible prime-rib imposter

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        In turn, I appreciate yer bein out there, pushin th envelope...I learned new things, an that always makes my poor ol tired brain happy!
        In fact, I live to learn, so ya done helped me make it through another day, brother!
        Sláinte, me boyo!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 29, 2020, 06:39 PM.

If you are not experimenting each time you cook you should not be in the kitchen or on the grill. Thanks for sharing...

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know. EACH time? I like to experiment with cooking, but I sure don't want to do it every time.

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora , Agreed!

very happy with the outcome of this experiment. if i had a kroger near me...

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Your closer than me. My closest Kroger is 6000+ miles away..

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Closest Kroger's for me is Lewiston, NY I think....is Kroger's in NY state?

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        I have one less than 5 minutes from me. We have several in this town. IMHO they are not all they are cracked up to be. Horrible no, but not my favorite.

Enjoyable reading this chuckie experiment of yours.
      I'm on vacation next week and I'm going chuckie hunting around this dump of a town and I ain't coming home till I gets me one!
      ....so its been nice knowing you all....

Comment

Well hell, I guess the real lesson here is this: if ya dig through supermarket chuck roasts & see a couple with extraordinary marbling, snag those babies! I can’t swear they’re gonna be chuck eye like these, BUT, you’ll know for sure if they probe like butter at 115-120: the point on your thermometer will literally fall right through with no push from you! If it doesn’t, carry it up to the stall, wrap, and take it to 180-195 until the probe does fall through—— you’ll be thrilled if you get real chuck eye @ medium rare, but if it’s not probe tender @ 120, it’ll be awesome at 180-195

Comment

So, out of curiosity, do you know which part was the tougher part? Here's your original photo with a few lines drawn on it.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_223515.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	872414

Comment

I am so glad you posted this! Makes me excited to try other stuff as well.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C3C50B3F-C484-471F-AC8D-AA6F11C85523.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	872596JCGrill : the section in red was the tough part, everything else was melt-in-your-mouth-tender.... I’m hoping with a little more experience to be able to identify & trim that part off ahead of time, yielding thick chuck eye steaks.

Comment

I'm going to try that. I have two Prime chucks from CostCo in the frig right now. I've cooked two before; couple of hours in the smoker, followed by 20 minutes in that popular pressure cooker (name?) with mole sauce. Made fantastic burritos and just eatin'.. Super fast, started at 4, eating by 7.

Comment

• patcrail
                  patcrail commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ManchuCooker , let me know how it goes—- the key to these babies was that they were chuck eyes, not regular chucks, allowing for that 130 medium rare awesomeness... wasn’t sure till I tried it (lots of folks said "no way"), so if you’ve got chuckies with great marbling that doesn’t look like "grain", go for it!

• patcrail
                  patcrail commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Worst case, if that probe .doesn’t literally fall through at 130, just take to about 160, wrap tight in foil, then take them to 185-195, wherever they get probe tender, and you’ll love them

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here