Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today’s project: medium-rare Chuckie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today’s project: medium-rare Chuckie!

Click image for larger version  Name:	06980004-0AA3-40C2-AB1B-314B4F476E08.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	872044 Time to experiment with all this well-marbled chuck I picked up! Gonna smoke this baby to medium rare & see what happens. Thinking about Cow Crust for a rub, not sure.... going for a faux prime rib-type roast... LOOK AT THAT MARBLING! This baby’s a little over 2” thick.. brining right now, got a late start, but since the plan is pulling it around 125, give or take, we should still be eating at a reasonable time. I wish I’d brined it last night, but it’ll still get about 3 hours in the salt 🧂
    —-just an experiment to see if these 1-in-20 well-marbled chuckies are really chuck eyes, & if that jiggle I got at 130 the other day was actually just damned good medium rare beef! I fully realize it MIGHT come out tough as leather, but only one way to find out! I got more on the fridge, so I need to play!
    Last edited by patcrail; June 29, 2020, 11:55 AM.

Good luck!

Comment

Any other thoughts on rub? Not really wanting a "bbq" spicy flavor, more of a savory taste, I think

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Hank's Beef Rub has ground shiitake mushrooms and notes of citrus. I just did a brisket with it and was impressed.

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        hoovarmin , thanks, I’ll check them out. I used Cow Crust on this one, haven’t found rub brands yet That aren’t full of salt, and I’m a firm believer in dry brining separately then adding my flavor... that’s been my biggest problem in the past with rubs & such

I hope you enjoy it but you're not going to have nearly enough time to break down the fat and connective tissue and to make it tender. If I had piece of meat and wanted it medium rare, I'd sous vide it for about 48 hours and then refrigerate it, then smoke it from cold. Let us know how you make out.

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        pkadare , I hear you loud and clear, but I’m starting to convince myself these are actually chuck eye roasts, Kroger just isn’t separating them. I bought 4 of these on BOGO with that marbling, look nearly identical to the chuck eye steaks from Porter Road, & only maybe 1 in 20 were marbled like this ...

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        ... I smoked one the other day, and it was prove tender & almost jiggly at 130, then toughened up again till I pulled it at 185 when it was probe tender, but no jiggle—- delicious & only minor "chew", so this is really an experiment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        My Kroger has NOT had chuck roasts like that

Just wanting to see if it really is chuck eye, & if I can get that same jiggle at 125-130, I’ll pull it and find out... if not, I’m gonna take it on up to 190 or so

Comment

pkadare , btw, no sous vide yet, but it’s on the wish list!

Comment

I just did this with an american wagyu chuckie. Pulled it around 130 i think and i was def delicious and edible but still had some notable chew to it. Ended up putting back on and took it up to around 185 where it sliced perfectly and was amazing.

looking forward to your results though

Comment

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            That was my thinking: if it’s too tough, I’ll tie it back together, wrap at the stall & bring it on up ... got hi hopes, though, meat Dept manager just confirmed they are chuck eyes: they don’t cut them & sell separately

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Personally if it is beef with good flavor I like somewhat of a chew to savor the moment. Failing that my wife's a dentist so she can sharpen my teeth..

Back when my kids were were young, we had to have "steak night" every week. "Steak" in those less affluent days was a 7 bone chuck steak that was grilled medium rare over hot charcoal in one of those park type pedestal grills. There was nothing wrong with that and everybody was happy. I won't date myself, but Winn Dixie sold the 7 bone chucks for 49¢ a pound in those days. We still have one for nostalgia when the kids and grand-kids gather . . . still no complaints. I hope you enjoy yours, it looks nice. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a great family memory

Finally, after weeks of trying, finally got someone at the meat Dept that knows anything, and these few well-marbled ones really are chuck eyes, not typical chuck, so now I really gotta know!

Comment

I can't really tell from the photo, but if you do source true chuck eyes, you'll be fine at medium rare. I do them all the time. They have to come from the first couple of inches of the chuck roll next to the rib section. Any further and you're not going to break down or render fat and connective tissue at that temperature UNLESS you sous vide it first then sear it off afterwards;

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...lent-adventure

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman : that’s exactly what this cook is all about! Been a bunch of wondering & debate about whether these are truly chuck eyes, or just very well marbled chuck (shoulder)... so I have a bunch on BOGO, can get more, and only 1 in 20 looks like this, @ the Mgr told me today they don’t separate the eyes, so stay tuned

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              We’ll know for sure in an hour or so, but they look a whole lot like the chuck eye steaks I got from Porter Road, with a little extra, and the marbling is actually much finer & heavier—- gotta know! Sale is over after tomorrow & I wanna load up even more if these are eyes

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Good luck, I really like chuck eyes !! Best bang for the buck !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	58F1E303-8F1E-4ACA-B775-32066D70204D.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	872150 Smothered in wet Cow Crust (about twice as heavy as Meathead recommends, but I love flavor if I can get it without salt!) it’s on and smoking, gonna try to hold her at 200 and see what happens!

Comment

I.5 hrs at 200..., IT is 115, and the probe falls right through the right 2/3rds in this pic—must be the line between chuck eye @ the shoulder muscle—- gonna sear & pull, eat the tender majority & Cross-slice the rest for sammiches tomorrow! I’ll report back
              Attached Files

Comment

Amazingly, the large fat vein isn’t the dividing line, it’s the last cut line to the left, 2/3 to 3/4 is tender as hell!

Comment

Took it up to 118, and the probe falls through almost all of the "tough edge"... searing now to 130, give or take

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DE61C1C0-1C99-4252-94F5-2FE21AD00B00.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	872232Click image for larger version

Name:	07B01C70-670D-401A-BECC-E6A899BEC81D.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	872231 ​​​​​​​pkadareTroutmanhoovarmin , It turned out absolutely incredible, like a slow smoked ribeye—- no bull, it was gorgeous... the 1/4 or less on the edge past the fat vein has some serious chew, but the rest of it literally melts in your mouth at 135 degrees! The wife & I slammed all but that tough edge, and that will slice thin just fine for sammiches! I’m telling you straight, if you ever see chucks marbled that way on sale at Kroger, pounce, cause you’re buying chuck eye!

Comment

• hoovarmin
                      hoovarmin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Way to go! Glad you enjoyed it and I enjoyed following along.

• Greygoose
                      Greygoose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      YOWZER,,,,,,that looks outstanding
                      This is a great CHUCK lesson

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here