Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooked My First Chuck! Good, but looking for Pointers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocinante
    replied
    I'm no expert, but have been doing chucks a lot the past few months. Your Chuck looks to be the longer and thinner type. With that size and Cooking time, you were headed for pulling not slicing. I cooked a 3# the other day to 195-198 for just about 7.5 hours and it was pretty probe tender. An hour or so rest and it sliced up nice. I will wrap at the stall, as I think this keeps it tender. My other recent Chuck went to 205-208, wrapped at the stall with beef broth and that one turned out great. Once you get it to over 200, that's prime pulling rather than slicing, as you found out. However, never cooked a Chuck that I didn't eat.

Leave a comment:

• Cooked My First Chuck! Good, but looking for Pointers!

So, I did my first Chuck roast yesterday. It turned out really well, especially for a my first real cook.

I started with a Prime Chick Roast out of the meat counter. I dry-brined the night before and in the AM pulled it out, rubbed it, and put it on my traeger tailgater. I took it to 203°F internal temp before I pulled it off. I had an RTIC cooler pre-warmed as a Faux-Cambro. I pulled the Chuck off at about 4:30 wrapped it, stuck it in the cooler, and then the girlfriend and I had to be somewhere at 5. (It was a miserable experience) and got home about 6 for dinner. I was pretty surprised as there were virtually no drippings in the foil wrap. I sliced and served the chuck at 6:30.

I say sliced. I had trouble slicing it because it was so tender. The bark was hard, like I wanted, but as soon as you cut through the bark, things started to go sideways, and not just proverbially. Because it was so tender, it was like the meat was trying to "Pull" at that point. I did notice the the pieces from around the edges were a little dry, but the center was still nice and moist. Is that normal for most of the chuck roasts. When I say dry, it was kinda like a brisket flat where you think "I just need a touch of sauce"... still pretty good.

At first my traeger did pretty well. It's new to me (and a new model with a new type of controller) so I set temp at 190 and it rolled at 230 unitl about 10 AM without a problem. From there, no matter how low I had the controller set, it ran 250 -260 pretty well. At times, I saw it in the upper 260's. Traeger has already mailed a new RTD to me so we will see if that improves when it arrives.

To keep the edges more moist, should I pull the chuck sooner? Say between 195 - 200?

Would a water pan help?

patcrail I saw in the other thread where you tagged me. Thanks for the advice and replys! I just didn't want to hijack that thread.

BFlynn Thanks for answering all my questions via text. Couldn't have done it with out you!
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here