Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear Hanger Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear Hanger Steak

Hey y’all! So this will be tomorrow grill project for BFs birthday dinner. I had to fight one of my butcher shop regulars to get it! jk I actually split it. ​

any tips, secrets, seasoning suggestions? It’s just under one pound.

Photo not showing for me...

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Me either.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      No pic? Let me try again

Hanger steak is tough to come by around here. So good. I'm jealous.

Really shouldn't be much different than reverse searing any steak. I would dry brine tonight. Depending on how thick it is, that will determine your time. Put some black pepper on it just before starting your cook. Cook indirect, to at least 110. If it is thick (say 2 inches) maybe a bit more. Have something roaring hot ready to go when it gets there. Move to the hot fire and turn it every minute until you get to 130. Pull it immediately at 130, err on the low side if it isn't cooking evenly. No need to rest it, by the time you get it to the table it will be rested enough.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! It’s a bit more than two inches thick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	031DA159-411E-4CB0-8F2D-09B9F95D5909.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	870854

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh she's a beauty !!! Cook it like tenderloin !!!

The above technique sounds good to me. I wouldn't add much in the way of spices because they can burn during the sear. However, Carne Crosta rub is made for high temp searing - just a thought for the future...

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB that’s why I’ve started to front seat my steaks then season right before the slow smoke process. This way the seasoning doesn’t burn. I’ll set a grate over my chimney starter and sear the meat then dump the charcoal on one side of the kettle and do the low and slow.
      Last edited by Dadof3Illinois; June 29, 2020, 08:16 PM.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Dadof3Illinois - that's basically what I do too, but I've gotten to the point I really like Carne Crosta on beef.

Post pics when your cook is done!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	021A54A8-511D-4267-8652-D53E04773E85.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	871758 So tasty! Click image for larger version

Name:	712D7C21-9FA5-4710-9925-7609D4F1F63F.jpeg
Views:	362
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	871759

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, you NAILED that one. Great job!

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Love that Hanger!

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Bet it melted in your mouth!

Just realized I didn’t post procedure. It went about 20-25 minutes indirect until 110F. Placed over direct until 135F. That was about 6-8 minutes. It rested by default because I had to sauté spinach as a side.

Which, BTW, I do rather unconventional. Melt bacon fat, two shakes of crushed red pepper and one garlic clove. Once the garlic is starting to brown, add spinach. Sauté until just wilted.

Comment

I have only cooked hanger once but it was delicious. Definitely in my top 5 cuts. Just wish it was easier to come by around here. Looks like you nailed it!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          It's the "butcher's cut" that's why you never see it !!!

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman and there is only about 2 pounds of it per steer compared to 30 pounds of ribeye or 30 pounds of brisket.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          And since I own a whole animal butcher shop, I usually get first dibs. I do share, though.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here