Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTH are Western Style Beef Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTH are Western Style Beef Ribs?

I see some nicely marbled hunks of meat on a BOGO sale labeled "Western Style Beef Ribs"... can’t find much of anything on the interweb, & zilch on this forum or free site. I’d like to try some, but clueless how to prepare them without knowing a little about what the hell they are!

A photo might help.

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      Heading back there shortly & gonna take a pic

*EDIT* Missed the part where you said beef, but I would assume it would be similar to pork western ribs.... They aren't ribs, that's why I left the West Coast... j/k on the last part, but they are cross section shoulder cuts (I think part of the pork chop, and that's generally how you eat them too)

After a bit of research I guess they are the same as country ribs and while meathead covers country style, he doesn't cover western... not 100% sure it's the same exact cut, but it's gotta be close enough to follow his advice. Cook 'em like chops, not like ribs. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...cuts-explained
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; June 27, 2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      These are beef... I’m familiar with country-style pork ribs (both bone-in shoulder & boneless rear loin versions), and that’s what I’m concerned about: cook bone-in pork country ribs Like boneless (or vice versa), it’s a massive fail—completely different muscles

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Jared49 absolutely missed that, but I would assume it's the same cut for beef

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      this post might help him out, looks like they might be tough slices of chuck https://www.thespruceeats.com/slow-c...-recipe-333767

Click image for larger version

Name:	52BBFC40-1DAE-4E6F-9EDE-6D291A467F36.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	870919 Thanks everyone... I went back up to the store... all of the beautifully marbled ones are gone, but the rest are obviously chunks of chuck meat! If I’d have realized, I’d have snatched up a few with that gorgeous marbling yesterday! Maybe they’ll get more tomorrow...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here