Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing the right supermarket chuck roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing the right supermarket chuck roast

Noticing a HUGE difference in the choice chuck roasts in the Kroger meat bin. They’ve closed the meat counter because of COVID-19, so we’re forced to sort through the pre-packaged cuts without the benefit of a butcher’s advice. I really lucked out with the first two roasts I picked up by seeing two with beautiful marbling, and the first one, smoked all day yesterday, was INCREDIBLE, tender and juicy at 185. I went to grab a couple more while they are still on sale, and had to dig through all of them to come up with just one more with this type of marbling: Click image for larger version

Name:	628A2273-6EED-4FF3-8F77-7AB047F5623B.jpeg
Views:	548
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	870682

Click image for larger version

Name:	1264143B-877B-411D-8014-C25A521F8C88.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	870685 All the rest looked something like this, more or less. I know next to nothing about meat cuts, so I don’t know for sure, but here’s my guess, and I’d love to hear from you guys! My GUESS is that the one in the first pic is cut from the very rear of the chuck, in the area of the CHUCK EYE, whereas the rest are cut further forward and down, thus the leaner meat from more working muscle, and those are the "typical chuck". I’m basing this on my observation that the Chuck EYE steaks I get from Porter Road have nearly identical marbling, just like a ribeye, as those are cut from that area at the top/rear of the chuck at the very front end of the longisimus dorsi (sp?) .... that, and the fact that I can only seem to find maybe 2 out of 20 that look like steak marbling.
    Let’s hear from you guys that know your way around a beef!

Comment

As I understand it you want marbling that runs through the meat, like the first example, vs just fat without intramuscular marbling (the second). Now, the second would likely make decent ground burger since it's all getting mixed together. But at $6.99....

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory That’s the point I’m trying to make. I’m buying the marbled ones like the first pic for smoking/grilling, and they are acting much more like ribeye than like typical chuck steak: tender, juicy, delicious, get more chew as you cook beyond well-done.... the bottom ones are what I believe is a typical chuck, and I don’t want that. But if I can load up on chuck EYE on BOGO, I will

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        By the way, that’s $8.99, but BOGO

To me the key to finding a great chuckie is patience! As you did, spend the time to go through the bin/rack and inspect every one. And don’t settle! If none are looking right, move on to something else. Just my two cents.

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Jfrosty27 I agree, and that’s what I’m doing. Is it typical to see chuck roast marbled that way? I’m new to chucks/roasts... if they are actually chuck EYE, I’m loading up at $4.50/lb
        Last edited by patcrail; June 27, 2020, 12:28 PM.

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        In my experience, the well marbled chuckies are few and far between.

I’m really beginning to wonder if (maybe?) the well-marbled ones are actually "Chuck Eye Roast", and Kroger isn’t bothering to cut them separately, just selling them as chuck roast with the rest of the chuck primal. With no in-store butcher around, I’ve tried asking the meat department clerks, but they haven’t even heard of "chuck eye", and they don’t stock any labeled as such at my store.

Comment

It doesn't hurt to become buddies with the guys who work in the meat department. Talk Q with them every time you go in. They appreciate someone who knows their stuff and will be eager to hook you up with their best offerings. Often those won't be out in the bin but will have to be cut to order. I know they've closed the meat counter, but someone is back there cutting meat and bringing it to the bin. Hang out and hunt them down, lol

Comment

hoovarmin : That’s the problem: apparently the vast majority of it is being cut off-site at a Kroger plant now, and being delivered & stocked daily before opening. I’ve tried for over a month to talk to someone knowledgeable, but the min wage "meat clerks" have never even heard of chuck eye...

Comment

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            Hell, I even asked for some fat trimmings, and they just looked at me like I was stupid, said they "don’t carry those", lol 😆... I asked what they do with them, was told they get the meat in packs off the truck

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            That sucks. I think we all need to start a Pit commune in Idaho and raise our own meat.

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            hoovarmin , I’m in!

I think the bottom line that we all agree on is that marbled chuckies are awesome... still wondering if those are actually chuck eyes, but I guess it doesn’t matter; if I find more with that marbling, I’m snatching them up on BOGO

Comment

Finally caught the meat department manager, and he confirmed the well-marbled ones are indeed chuck EYE, not typical shoulder chuck. Gonna try one today to medium rare, so we’ll see... separate post on this cook, but look at this marbling:
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here