Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSJ Chuck Roast cook day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSJ Chuck Roast cook day

Click image for larger version

Name:	8E9BE37C-8200-4C41-8C9E-09EAEE7E29C1.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	870050Click image for larger version

Name:	5AD023D1-A9B0-4173-9330-BEFE8A7A91B3.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	870048Click image for larger version

Name:	9EE165DB-9F51-4543-B733-141857A13699.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	870049 Finally, it’s cool day for the first of my Smokey Joe chuckies! About 1.8 lb, well-marbled, scheduling screwup left it dry brining for an extra day, but the extra time did some gorgeous magic on this baby!
    Rubbed down with Big Bad Beef Rub (with a dash of Cumin thrown in, just because)...

I like the way you pinwheeled it !!!

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      Pulled that outta my butt: easiest way I could think of to get it a consistent size to cook evenly—- that’s been a problem with the small size of my Smokey Joe, so I’m trying to find fixes... just wrapped butcher’s twine around the circumference & cinched her up tight... AS LONG AS IT DOESN’T POP UP IN THE CENTER, it oughta work! Stay tuned & we’ll find out, lol

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      patcrail I don't think your butt is a safe place to keep a roast. The temperature is definitely in the danger zone.

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      jumbo7676 , I’m thinking I really don’t want anything in my butt, but(t), the Ol Lady always says I’m one "cold-a$$ SOB", lol

She hit the grill 25 minutes ago, shooting for as close to 225 as my Smokey Joe will let me, but she likes to run up around 270 the best, so we’ll see. Going for slicing tender this time, (I’ll do pulling tender with it’s twin), unless I’m WAAY off on my time guesstimate and I get up around 180 a lot earlier, then I may go ahead and take her over 203 for some jiggly wiggly goodness! As long as I’m not out of beer by then, that is!
    —- and a big ol thanks to
    Mr. Bones for answering a buttload of my questions for this cook!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure to be of assistance,amigo!

Nice looking cook! Got to love how little charcoal u need.

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      The downside is you better really keep an eye on yer fire, cause it burns up, & if ya put too much in, it runs too damn hot... it’s a balancing act, and I’m thinking right about now how nice an 18” would be to allow me a little more unlit charcoal

Nice set up,,,,,
    Luv my Jumbo Joe

Comment

Unexpected! 90 minutes in, and this thing is already getting "wiggly-jiggly" & approaching where I would pull a ribeye for a seat to finish medium rare! It’s gonna take a ton of self control and another 12 pack to keep me from searing this thing afterburner-style at 125!
      Attached Files

Comment

THOUGHTS? If the damn thing quivers like warm jello, is it as tender as it’s gonna get??? Wondering if I just lucked out and got the CHUCK EYE when I found these marbled babies! If they are tender medium rare, I’d really really hate to ruin them going all the way up to 180+, but I’m not experienced enough to have a clue if "wiggly jiggly" equals tender!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	A8511683-EB90-4DA8-920C-958AF30EA41C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	498.5 KB ID:	8701111 1/2 hours in, 127 IT, already has a nice Jello-jiggle, but gonna stick with it and run it on up above 180 & pray I get a "warm pudding jiggle" instead of incinerating this thing, lol! If I hadn’t smothered it in a heavy dose of the rub, I’d be tempted to sear it now for medium/medium rare, but I want bark now & it’s too heavily flavored..... thank God I have a twin to this, same marbling, gonna have to try medium rare on that one!
          Last edited by patcrail; June 26, 2020, 11:04 AM. Reason: Was off by an hour on the time, lol!

Comment

Remember its probe tender not temperature that dictates when its done. Stick a toothpick in it! Goes in like melted butter? Done. No?, keep on cookin.

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP , I hear ya, but something about pulling my first chuck roast at steak temp after all that rub on it just didn’t sound right.. it was absolutely toothpick tender at 130, but I couldn’t bring myself to trust there still wasn’t a bunch of chewy stuff in there, and the Ol Lady is ready to let me spring for a PBC or other serious cooker, so I want this as tender as I can get it, and if that means taking it even all the way to pull-tender, by hell, I’ll do it

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP, not to worry though, I had to run to the store, so I rummaged through all the chuckles and found one with even better marbling, swirled & random (no grain), really fine, and a little thicker, so I now have two backups to attempt a medium-rare "fake prime rib"

In the interlude here, I'd like to tell a story. I moved to my new house some years ago and had a DCS gasser I was doing most of my grilling on. Every once in a while I wanted something with that charcoal taste so I bought an Old Smokey . For those who don't know it's a thin galvanized metal tin can affair that cost all of about $20 but cooks like a Joe. Well after about 2 years the thing fell apart and I purchase a Smokey Joe. I cooked countless thing on it including a small chuck roast, but mainly steaks, sausages and whatnot. That then feel apart, my gasser all but blew up (another story), so that sent me on my present MCS journey with 7 cookers in my inventory with an 8th in the queue.

Anyway, I'm standing now from my story telling rocker, back to our regularly scheduled programming. How's that chuck coming, I'm getting mighty hungry ???!!!

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s coming, stay tuned, I had a self-inflicted F-up, posting now Troutman

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman Are you finally getting that LSG?

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              ofelles

So there seems to be a posterior thread running through this thread......Butt then what do I know?

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              Now that’s a clever funny there

5 hours in, coming up on 160. I screwed up big time & caused a self-induced stall at 3 hours in, when I made a run to the grocery for mop-sauce fixin’s (& beer, lots of beer), & MOST IMPORTANT, plain old Kingsford Briquets... the Royal Oak Hardwood Briquets I was using didn’t last at all, and keeping the fire steady was a real pain in this small cooker.... long story short, I left her cruising along just fine at 220-230 steady, halfway thru the charcoal load, meat at 135, and came back 30 minutes later to a 100 degree grill temp and meat down at 120 and dropping.... a few of those coals burnt away so fast the next ones in the "C" never lit, and the fire was about out! So, at least I had some better charcoal to fire back up with.... the pitfalls of a small cooker! She’s back up and cruising, looking for a little more bark or a stall and wrap and take her on up... Click image for larger version

Name:	04DB342C-B548-4AAD-AF02-7BC3035A57B0.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	870232Click image for larger version

Name:	04DAD1B9-CD93-44A6-BC4F-0FBF5A15810B.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	870231

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya, this is not a mindless hobby. Between the learning curve and unexpected circumstances we need to think on our feet sometimes. Sounds like your moving right along now.

Do not,,,I repeat do not blame Smokey Joe !
            Second,,,,,no screw ups in BBQ,,,,,,just minor miscalculations
            third,,,,,fire goes out, start another one,,,,,,,not like running outta gas or something as strange as that
            fourth,,,,U planned for this,,,,,you bought more beer
            All is good !!!!!

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              Greygoose , no blaming Smokey Joe, just explaining where I screwed up, maybe it’ll help some other folks.... I’m a BBQ newbie, Smokey Joe newbie, BUT, I’ve learned a lot here in a few weeks, PLUS, MORE IMPORTANT: I’m old enough to know that few problems in life can’t be solved by stepping back, sipping a cold Budweiser, pondering options, then moving forward with an alternative, rather than straight panic mode! 😎

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually, patcrail Brother, ya been doin a magnificent job, an I commend ya!!!
              Doin this in a SJS takes some very good fire management skillz, an workin to keep th meat movin...
              I think ya deserve another Bud, bud!

Click image for larger version

Name:	A3F41BFF-9411-4845-B79C-53FC89688C14.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	870277Click image for larger version

Name:	6F21B507-0D94-4C28-AE30-E24C054521DD.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	870278Click image for larger version

Name:	EBB04A61-1448-40DF-902C-A3AF7FD911C9.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	870279 So the stall hit about 153, 6 hours in, but my screwup cost about 90 minutes.... she’s got a gorgeous bark going, wrapped up really tight in a few layers of foil with a splash of beef broth, gonna make some mop sauce while she finishes up..... AFTER I DRINK ANOTHER BUDWEISER..... it cost me 90 minutes, but that beer run saved this cook 😎

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Shoot, I'd stick that sucker in about a 350* oven and be done with it. At this point a BTU is a BTU. Just sayin', I'm friggin' hungry

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              ....or have another BUD and screw it

Magnificent recovery if you ask me,,,,,,,,,
            OK,,,,you didn’t ask,,,,,
            😂🤣😂👍👍👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here