Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain this

It is about how to make Picanha on the gril, i believe you name it Brisket, and the English people call it: rump cover or rump cap
    After seeing this movie on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwKNv-koYU
    I am thinking did i do it wrong all the time, are did a misunderstood

Meaning, whether you cut first perpendicular to the thread and then cut lengthways or first lengthwise the thread and then (final cut) perpendicular, in my experience you have the same result, but if my thinking is wrong, I really want to receive responses to explain this to me, because i'm confused now

I could also cut the meat slanted against the grain
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ganesh2; June 25, 2020, 11:32 PM.

That one looks over trimmed of fat. After a brisket is cooked you slice the meat perpendicular to the direction the meat grain is running.

Comment

Picanha is not the same as brisket here to my understanding. We would call it rump or sirloin cap. I've never cooked one but think the fat cap is traditionally left on.

Comment

+1 on LA Pork Butt comment, that ones trimmed right down to the wood.
        The cutting I still screw up until I figure out the grain is running, comes with experience....and I need more....

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Lots of ways to get it right. Notches, skewers, I'm sure someone else will provide another way.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          With brisket I cut a notch in the meat to mark the direction of the grain while trimming the brisket, before it all gets covered up with bark and I can't see it.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I have taken photos of the meat before I smoke it. So, I can see my grain for slicing.

The picanha cut of meat has lots of different names as you mentioned and some others such as coulotte and top sirloin cap. The brisket is from another part of the animal.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	B158D264-537E-4AEF-836D-AA26F21A8FA4.png
Views:	434
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	869847 As you probably know it is usually served in one of two styles. The first is grilled as a flat steak while the other is served as a C shaped piece of meat on a skewer with the slices cut vertically from the standing skewer. The idea of first cutting the meat with the grain is important when using a skewer because the final eating slice from the skewer will then be across the grain. C⬇️ (Using an iPad so I can’t really do a down arrow.) In my experience when cooking as a flat steak, cut it whichever way produces the shortest length of long fibers on the final eating slice.

Comment

This does not look like a brisket, nor like a pichana to me.
          Do you have a photo before trimming it? Do you have a photo of the package?

Comment

A picanha typically weighs 2-3lbs with the fat cap I believe. That looks too large to be a picanha.

Comment

This is a good tutorial on how to butcher for picanha and from which part of the cow.

Comment

I’m going to give this a try. I’m not versed in Dutch, but hope this helps.

"Borststuk" would be what we know in the US as Brisket. It’s commonly sold here in 2 different presentations, one being a full packer or a full brisket, which contains both the "Puntborst" or Point in English...by the way, in my opinion, this cut is the best part of a Brisket, plus the "Stooflapen" or Flat in English. These come in as one piece. It’s kind of long and it has a big bump only on one end of the package. These can vary widely in weights, but on average I would say that a full brisket that you commonly find at a US supermarket weighs around 14-16 pounds or 6-7kg.

The bump or larger muscle mass is the "Puntborst" or point. If you can find this piece alone, go for it.

The other common presentation in the US is just the "Stooflapen" or flat. As the word implies, it’s usually a pretty flat slab of beef. The image you have at the beginning does not look to me like Borststuk.

Brisket muscles work very hard. They help the animal get up, move around, and lay down. They are very tough and require in most cases, smoking it low and slow. There are some exceptions of course, it’s not a rule. By that, I’m referring to cooking techniques. Some people go hot and fast, some don’t smoke it, some sous vide it, then smoke, etc.etc.etc.

Picanha is from the back, and it’s not as readily available as a brisket, but can be relatively easy to find at a specialty butcher shop, or a Brazilian supermarket. This cut, also works, but not as much, so it’s much more tender and it’s usually grilled. Yes, it can be smoked too, but it’s usually grilled. There are some distinct muscles in a picanha. The best part is in the middle, between the 1st and 3rd vein. Beyond the 3rd, is what Brazilian’s refer to as "Coxāo Duro", or hard cushion. Skip that if you can.

What you have in the photo looks to me like a "Spierstuk" or what we refer to in the US as top sirloin cap off... or without its picanha.

Hope this helps

Ricardo
                Last edited by Ricardo; June 26, 2020, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow! Nice work man.

Here some more pictures, one of the side with the fat cut on it crosswise ( picture 1 ), and the other side already trimmen ( picture 2 ) where I made two cuts so that I will know how to cut later. Picture 4 is the same as 1, but after a short time on the grill to melt the fat just a bit for extra ( smoke ) flavor, picture 6 is like 2 but also after storttime on the hot grill for extra flavor, picture 7 vacuüm sealed ready for sous vide, picture 8 in the sous vide pan for 3 hours at 136 F or 58 C, after that time i just give it a nice color like foto 7
                Attached Files

Comment

So you suis video's that, then hit it with a blow torch?

Color me impressed!

I was going to say I'd treat that like a tri tip. Marinade. Smoke to 115. Sear to 135.
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by BFlynn View Post
                    So you suis video's that, then hit it with a blow torch?

Color me impressed!

I was going to say I'd treat that like a tri tip. Marinade. Smoke to 115. Sear to 135.
                    ​​​​​​
                    this was a screenshot of a movie i've made, don't know if i can post homemade movie?
                    Mean is it allowed?
                    or just not possible?
                    Tryed it, it is to big to upload
                    Last edited by Ganesh2; June 27, 2020, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                      Ahumadora commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Upload to youtube then you can embed the link on the forum.

oke like this : https://youtu.be/RmjYdJauznU

Comment

Originally posted by Ganesh2 View Post

this was a screenshot of a movie i've made, don't know if i can post homemade movie?
                      Mean is it allowed?
                      or just not possible?
                      Tryed it, it is to big to upload
                      thnks voor how to!

Comment

Ganesh2
                        From your most recent photos and video, I stand corrected. I now think you do in fact have a picanha.
                        Here is a video that can help with the trimming and prepping.

You should be able to adapt this to help you with your question about how to cut.
                        Cheers,
                        Ricardo

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here