Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt at Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at Pastrami

The only way I have ever cooked a corned beef before is boiling it. We had a 3 lb one in the refrigerator and I decided to try to bbq it (just something a little different). I have the 22" Weber kettle with the SnS. I desalinated it and dried it off and used the 'almost as good as Katz's" rub. For the first time in my very limited bbqing experience ,I managed to get the temperature steady between 225 and 230. Put the corned beef on this morning at about 9:45 and let it do its thing. When it got to 164 it stopped doing anything I assume this was the stall. I wrapped it tightly in two layers of foil and then set it back on the grill. Since I had not touched any settings on the weber, I expected the temperature to return to the 225 - 230 range. But no!!!. it kept going up and finally settled between 275 and 285. I closed the bottom vent until it was almost closed but that didnt help at all. I tried playing around with the lid vent but was not able to bring it down at all. Within 1 l1/2 hours after wrapping, it had reached 203. I have it wrapped in a towel and put that in a cooler. It seems quite tender and I am hoping that it will taste good. Is there something else I should have done to keep the temperature at the lower range. Any help and/or advice would be really appreciated

275-300 is a good range. I did my pastrami last Sunday and this temp range worked great.

Comment

How long was the lid off?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        joeeless - that's your problem. 10 min gave the charcoal enough time to get a head of steam headin' north. The coals got too hot and it's tough to get the temp down once that happens. I try to have everything ready to do whatever when I open the lid. Or I'll close the lid while prepping for the next stage...

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        joeeless yeah, that's alot of oxygen to stoke that fire.

• joeeless
        joeeless commented
        Editing a comment
        I am a real novice when it comes to slow cooking on the Weber so I do appreciate the comments and will make sure that next time i am more prepared. Thank you again

Agree with the comments on the lid. Let in too much air which lit all the coals and made it hard to lower it. I also think 225 isn’t the magic number and a slightly higher temp has a negligible effect on texture but is a much quicker cook.

hope your pastrami turned out well and looking forward to the results.

Comment

• joeeless
        joeeless commented
        Editing a comment
        With all the issue I had with the temperature control, it really turned out to be very tasty, although it was a little saltier than I would want and next time I will leave it in water for a longer time to remove the salt. The rub, even if it did not come close to Katz' or, i am sure most of the more experienced folk on PItmasters, still turned out to be really tasty. Now on to bigger and better things (hopefully)

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here