Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey Joe chuck roast smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey Joe chuck roast smoke

Click image for larger version

Name:	B10409C5-2C82-4889-949F-E224D6447974.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	868932 So, thanks to everyone’s advice, I bought some grocery-store chick roast, (BOGO), about 1.8 lbs each... have one tied up tight in an "eye" and brining overnight..... gonna smoke this one tomorrow on my Smokey Joe, but need help! Do I want to smoke this thing all the way up like a brisket, or pull it early?

Chuck roast won't get really tender and done under 200F .... may have to go as far as 210F. Don't be surprised. Go to probe tender, like a brisket.

Comment

Start off with beer and then move on to whiskey if necessary !!!!
      probe until happy
      it all cooks close to the same but always different

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m a lightweight, only use whiskey for fast cooks, lol

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Following those instructions. I would be HAPPY loooong before the meat was done!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't see the finish

Couple of thoughts as I've done chuck on the SJ... watch ambient temps. It's hard to keep the SJ down in the mid-200s which is where I'd want it (275 is fine). I'd use a slower burning charcoal like Weber or B&B and only a few coals lit at a time.

You can crutch (wrap through the stall) and it might keep it from drying a bit. See how long the stall seems to be taking though. 2-3 hours, eh. Much longer and I'd wrap that puppy, then unwrap for the final few degrees. Use a water pan too.

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Rick, that’s some useful info! I’ve had the same issue with trying to keep the thing below 270 or so. It got better last night when I drilled a hole for the probes so the lid closes tight, but still, it seems to want to run about 275-280 with the bottom vent about 1/8” open, and top maybe 1/4 or less.... I made the mistake of trying to choke it down further, and it did get down to about 210 with both vents just a sliver, but after maybe 20 minutes, It dropped like a rock!

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        As far as ambient temps, it’s not too big an issue right now here in Cincinnati, and I’m lucky enough to have a shaded porch with a brick wall for a windbreak, so that all helps

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking about trying a crutch, but I’m wondering if I’ll really see much stall on this one? I’m only cooking one of them, about 1.8 lbs, although I did tie it up snug.... I guess I’ll just have to wing it on whether & when to crutch?

Forgot about a doctor’s appointment today, so this thing will get an extra day in the salt! 🧂

Comment

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem, dry brining a chuckie for a couple of days is a good thing. Some here have done as much as four. Cover lightly with plastic wrap. Let us know how it turns out.

What final result are you going for, patcrail ? Pulled or sliced? I like to cook these until they are tender enough to shred like a pork butt. My go-to method is wrapping after it has stalled for awhile, taking it all the way up to 210 and letting it ride there for about an hour, followed by holding in a cooler for a couple of hours. Keeping that IT at 210 for an extended time is much easier to do at your normal cooking temperature than it sounds, due to the boiling point of water.
      Last edited by Steve R.; June 25, 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Duckman_OK
        Duckman_OK commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to do my first Chuck tomorrow. I've heard read about the temp difference for pulled vs sliced. Can you explain that to me little? I'm having trouble finding good info on the difference in internal temp in relation to slicing vs pulling.

I was planning on taking it to 203°F, then wrapping and putting it into my Rtic Cooler for an hour or two.

Would that make for a better sliced or pulled chuck? Any advice before I start tomorrow?

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Duckman_OK I think that would be perfect for slicing, but might not be tender enough for pulling. I'm going for insanely tender for pulling, and I have the best results when I do as described above.
        Last edited by Steve R.; June 25, 2020, 01:06 PM.

I have been smoking chucks pretty frequently. This one was a 3# chuck that I put in a pan, midway in the stall, with a little beef broth to combine with the beef when pulled. It was out of this world. I took it to 203-205 (probed very soft) and let it rest for just a little over an hour. I also like taking to the mid 190's for sliced too. It has to be pretty much butter soft when probed.

Name:	Chuck1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	869451

Tasty juices...

Name:	chuck2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	869452

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll do the same. Put in foil pan that was catching the drippings after it comes out of stall. Cover and carryon. Yum.

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn! I’m gonna need more meat so I can try this one, too! So much meat, so little time!

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
      What final result are you going for, patcrail ? Pulled or sliced? I like to cook these until they are tender enough to shred like a pork butt. My go-to method is wrapping after it has stalled for awhile, taking it all the way up to 210 and letting it ride there for about an hour, followed by holding in a cooler for a couple of hours. Keeping that IT at 210 for an extended time is much easier to do at your normal cooking temperature than it sounds, due to the boiling point of water.
      Steve, I’m going for slicing tender on THIS ONE, BUT, I got them on a twofer sale, so have a twin that I just might try for pulling, cause you just made my stomach growl and mouth water! I think I’ll try for slicing this time, pulling next cook, and compare!

Comment

Duckman_OK , how did yours turn out? How high did you take it? Getting mine started now

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck with yer chuckle, brother!!!

Thank ya! Just put her on, guess I’ll start a new post for the cook & pics! Smells awesome already, and that 2-day dry brine did some wonderful magic on that roast!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here