Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oyster steak / Arañita on the Parrilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oyster steak / Arañita on the Parrilla

The oyster steak has gotten its name as the outline resembles an oyster. Sometimes it is referred to as a Spider steak, due to the fat striations on one side resembles a spider web. In Spanish speaking countries it is called Arañita (spider). It is attached to the Pelvis on a cow, and there are only two oyster steaks per cow. It’s a very tender cut, so make sure you don’t overcook it. If you’ve ever cooked a skirt steak/entraña then this is similar.

It's a small steak, only 7-9 oz, so I consider this a Pitmasters' snack :-) But the flavor is awesome. Beef at its best.

Here's what it looks like (raw)

Click image for larger version  Name:	oyster-steak-1.jpg Views:	12 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	868563

Here's my Parrilla, using charcoal from ash wood today (since it's such a fast cook). When using real wood it takes an hour to produce embers, and it wasn't worth it for a small steak like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	oyster-steak-2.jpg Views:	11 Size:	332.8 KB ID:	868560

The meat hits the grill, plenty hot

Click image for larger version  Name:	oyster-steak-3.jpg Views:	11 Size:	372.8 KB ID:	868561

Here's an action shot during this 5 minute grill

Click image for larger version  Name:	oyster-steak-4.jpg Views:	11 Size:	413.6 KB ID:	868562

And here's the oyster steak after grilling and resting. I took it to 56° C (133° F), but that's as high as I would ever go. 54° C (129° F) is better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_118978.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	868559
    Anywho, if you haven't tried it you really need to. At least if you call yourself a beef lover This is some dang tasty stuff. I served this with a bowl of chimichurri, just dunked the meat in there and ate it all by the grill.

Hank, over 'n out!

Last edited by Henrik; June 24, 2020, 06:26 AM.

I keep tryin’ to grab a lil morsel right out of the pic 😂😂😂
    Looks like a delicious treat !!!!
    I enjoy reading ur posts

Comment

Looks great and your description of its taste has my mouth watering, sadly in these parts ground for hamburger long before it would find the butchers case.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

That looks tasty but like smokin fool said, it becomes hamburger around these parts too.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahumadora yea we don't have cows living in our kitchens like you Argentinians, lol. Local is ordering on line at 3x the price for special cuts like that one. Of course when you move back to NZ you'll have all the lamb you can possibly eat, but beef?

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            @Anumadora I do buy 60-70% of beef from local butchers. Here in the Midwest i'm not sure they would still know what that cut is? Most around here don't even know what Tri Tips are.

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman, plenty of beef in NZ. A lot of folks have a few acres and with a few cows (until the home kill butcher arrives)

I have only ever seen that cut once and it was in Miami. Did not buy it wished I would have now. Not sure of the NAMP #.
          smokin fool is oh so correct about most likely be ground up. Luckily the folks here (US) have realized the error in there ways and have quit grinding up Picanha so now its a bit more readily available. Used to bring coolers full of them home from Miami, now I can actually get them here in Va Beach.

Comment

Very cool Henrik, love seeing new cuts (at least for me that's new, never heard of it). It kind of looks and cooks like skirt or even flank steak. Always love your European twist on things !!!

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Steve!

Very interesting, Like most of us in the USA, I've never seen this cut, let alone heard about it. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks all! I seem to recall this cut is popular in Serbia too, and possibly other eastern European countries.

Either way, always fun with a hot 'n fast cook every now and then

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm thinking street taco's every time I see those pictures!!

Fantastic!

Comment

This looks like a great cook! I will definitely be asking my butcher for this soon.

Comment

That looks a really tasty bit of meat and am positive it was. Fair amount of work went into that cook for that size of meat but I'm sure we'll worth it.
                  Have heard the cut mentioned these parts before but never have had any myself. Was with my newer butcher today for a pick up (pork) and he is butchering beef tomorrow. Hoping I'll get some, if he knows the cut.

Comment

Well done, Henrik! At my butcher shop, I pounce on those as soon as they come off the cow! Pre-COVID, of course.

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks!

Thanks for this post! I got two oyster steaks from a local grass-fed rancher and found this post while researching ways to cook them. I will also cook a Teres Major that I bought from the same source at the same time. I know the rancher so she actually threw in some extras when I ordered online: the oyster steaks (I didn't actually order them), an extra Teres Major, a pound of beef chorizo, and an extra 2 lbs of kidney fat (I ordered 3 lbs to make suet). I bought two tritips from her too and they were great. The first one was beefier (those who do not like grass-fed would probably say gamey) compared to the second one. My BIL was visiting when I cooked the second one (by his request - he's from Cali) and he absolutely loved it.

I don;t have a parrilla (yet) so I'll cook the oyster steak and teres major on the PK-O. Just decided to marinate the oyster steak in some churrasco marinade so I grabbed the wagyu skirt steak I bought from A-N awhile back to marinade also. Food for the coming week.
                    Last edited by 58limited; April 24, 2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

That looks great!

... and on a slightly different note, how do you prefer to be addressed? Henrik? Hank? eldens kung?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here