Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Franklin, foil, butcher paper, no wrap test w/ John Markus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaron Franklin, foil, butcher paper, no wrap test w/ John Markus

Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 30, 2015, 07:53 PM.

I watched this the other day. I have been curious about using butcher paper on other cuts as well.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I reheat so many, I go with foil since it is better for that. But I got plenty butcher paper.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard , I use the Texas Crutch on pork butts especially because I like to reserve the juices and run them through a fat separator and mix it back in with a little some of the mop sauce I use and maybe a pinch of the rub.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I will call in the morning and change the delivery date to the 26th. Thanks

I ordered some Texas post oak, and will soon be ordering a Wagyu brisket from SRF. I'm going to emulate Aaron Franklin's brisket, w/ butcher paper, to the best of my ability when the stars align. His rub, and even his fire starting techniques. I think it will be fun. And of course I will share it with y'all. Don't laugh if I fail, Jerod Broussard.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee you stated that you're going to try to duplicate Aaron's brisket. If I read correctly in his book he states that his pit temp is 275 F. Are you going to try to cook at that temp also? I'm will be doing a 3 day brine, BBBR and pit temp at or close to 225 F. and hope I don't screw up a $189 piece of meat. 😓

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles let me retract my earlier statement that SRF briskets are "Dry aged" 28 days, their website doesn't say dry aged, but simply "Aged 28 days". Perhaps, and likelier, is that they wet age them 28 days before freezing. Still, I wouldn't let them sit thawed much more than a week or so, gut feeling.

Regarding the brisket, I don't use Aaron's smoker, and Aaron uses his bi-metal gauges. Are they accurate? Perhaps. Or does Aaron just know how his smokers behave even if they gauges are a little off? Definitely! So I won't be emulating his temps, I will stick to what my smoker wants to do, which varies with the wood I'm using. I've never used post oak splits, so we'll see what its sweet spot will be using them. Last brisket I did my Yoder cruised along nicely at ~240.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Huskee I called to change the delivery date and I'm glad I did. He (SRF) told me 14 days was the limit in the fridge. Whew...

Franklin gets his briskets from Creekstone farms. I think they are a little bit more but comes with free shipping. I want to try one someday.

Comment

I bought some untreated pink butcher paper and wrapped last week's brisket in it at hour 10! #SoPretty

Can't wait to start my fire at 3 am with that greasy paper, just like ole' Aaron does!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	86786

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2151.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	86787

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you noticed a difference with the paper? Perhaps more bark at the expense of no reserved juices?

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Man I' think I'd eat that paper.

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        That paper makes the house smell goooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Originally posted by Rich P. View Post
      Franklin gets his briskets from Creekstone farms. I think they are a little bit more but comes with free shipping. I want to try one someday.

Thanks (Rich) I looked them up, prices are on par with SRF, which yeah isn't cheap. $119.99 for a 12-14lb packer.

Comment

Yeah, Aaron gets just about every Creekstone they will send him. Life gets rough for him when he has to go to the store and get Select.

Comment

Being the old-school bastard that I am it feels like cheating to use anything other than what you can get at the store. The whole idea of BBQ is to take a poor cut of meat and turn it into something better than the folks up in the big house are eating.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I only buy what I can get at the store. How else would I buy it?

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee, you snot-nosed brat, you know damn well what I mean.

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            The first brisket I bought at the local meat market had to have been a select cut although I was told it was choice. Cooked it according to the MH technique / recipe to the "T" and it was just tough. I have bought the rest of my briskets at Restaurant Depot to get the CAB brisket. Every one was 100 times better than the first one. For the competition last November, my bro sprung for a Wagyu brisket that was absolutely unreal

BTW, I have a great interview with John Markus in the can waiting for me to gain mastery of the editing tools and I will post it this week or next.

Comment

I loved the video, but how much of the difference can be attributed to the fact that the briskets came off of different animals? Even controlling for herd, location, feed, and breeding, there must be some difference. I'd like to see this repeated a dozen times or more for the information to be accurate. And I'll have some of each, please and thank you!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Good point Mosca. Like Jerod says though, I have a feeling as stringent as some of these higher-end meat producers are, they're as close as possible to exact replicas of each other.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, but to be scientifically valid it should be repeated several more times. That would have the effect of eliminating the animal variable, with the side benefit of producing many more tasty briskets!

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Oh I see, it is the side benefits you desire, not the scientific.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here