Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ribs parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Ribs parts

In a past BBQ I had cut one rib off of a a couple of short ribs racks and froze them. I'm cooking them today - 2 solo 2" thick bone-in ribs. I'm now trying to guess how long to cook. The recipe for Texas short ribs says 10 hours for 2" thick. But that's a rack.

My single bones have heat entering on all four sides - not two.

How do I guess the cook time?

I found this on the web......5-7 hours

Comment

6-7 hours is a good target, but definitely go by the IT of 200-210*. I usually wrap with some broth if the ribs hit the stall which can definitely happen with 2" thick ones.

Comment

I cooked a 4 bone "rack" recently....enough meat my wife and I ate one bone each with sides and saved the other two for a couple of nights later. I have pics somewhere but not handy.....anyway I cooked them on an 18" Weber jumbo Joe for just shy of 8 hours until they reached approx 205*. Never wrapped. They stalled at 170* and again at 190*. Had plenty of time so just let it go. Wonderful bark and great and juicy meat. Rested for a little over an hour. Lesson: start early and give yourself plenty of time.

Edited to add: These ribs were approx 2" thick.
        Last edited by Alabama Smoke; June 21, 2020, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Happy Father’s Day, guys!!!

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            And to you AI S. !

Originally posted by dlaslo View Post
          In a past BBQ I had cut one rib off of a a couple of short ribs racks and froze them. I'm cooking them today - 2 solo 2" thick bone-in ribs. I'm now trying to guess how long to cook. The recipe for Texas short ribs says 10 hours for 2" thick. But that's a rack.

My single bones have heat entering on all four sides - not two.

How do I guess the cook time?
          Well the results are in. The single bones (2" thick) took 5 1/2 hrs to 203F - I had cut them off the end of a 4 rib rack which took over 10 hours.

A side note: These ribs were from Costco and were pretty bad. I think they were either a bad cut of meat or the wrong ribs in the steer. The outside was tough and chewy and I had previous ribs from a butcher that were juicy and drop dead delicious. No similarity to these ribs in the slightest.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here