Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imperial Wagyu Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial Wagyu Brisket

At my butcher shop, we got in wagyu brisket. Grabbing about 5# for me and BF for smoking on Sunday. This will be my first brisket! I’m a little nervous! I will be taking pictures as I go.

Go Sheila Go!

Comment

Oh gosh, yes take pictures!!!!

Comment

Deep breaths..........everything is going to be okay!

Comment

Whatta marvelous adventure, Sister!
          I'm lookin forward to it, an wishin ya great success!
          We gots yer six, ask away, if any questions...

Comment

Lookin' forward to before and after photos.

Comment

I'm looking forward for my first brisket. First pork butt worked out fine (the process wasn't perfect, but I got there).

Noob question, what's an imperial wagyu brisket vs the "normal" one?

Comment

fcy Wagyu is like a classification of meat, if I understand it correctly. Possibly has to do with breeding, but I think of grading rather than breed. A higher grade than prime. Typically very tender with exceptional marbling. I also believe there are grades within the wagyu classification.

Typically expensive.

I've heard it can be cooked faster/hotter without ill effects. Have also heard it benefits from the longer slow cook. I've never bought any, so can't really give an opinion.
                Last edited by journeymanjohn; June 20, 2020, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wagyu is a set of breeds of cattle from a part of Japan. In this part of Japan, the cows are treated very well, and have exceptional marbling and tender meat. They are graded on a different scale, with A5 having the most marbling, way beyond USDA Prime. In the US, it’s a breed of cattle or a crossbreed with the japanese cows. Also very marbled, but very few American A5.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea they drink beer. Any creatures that drink beer are pretty special alright

Wait, did you say you bought 5 Wagyu Briskets? Dang!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  5 lbs?

Congrats! Let us see this marvelous hunk of meat! Just to be clear, I'm talkin about the brisket. Not the BF.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea I’d cook it on a WSM

I just have one question, what the heck is Imperial all about? Is that a noun or a superlative?

Comment

• JakeT
                  JakeT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From my understanding it's a cross between full blooded wagyu and another breed, black angus usually. At least that's what the guy told me at the butcher once.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol yea I was kidding. I just bought some Imperial Wagyu beef ribs from our local HEB grocer. Lots of Texas cross bred beef showing up all over town.

Wow! Lots to answer! Look up Imperial Wagyu. They are out of Texas. From what I understand a rancher got a wagyu animal and cross-bred. But check out the website to confirm.

I believe that wagyu will cook faster than a "standard" brisket. My biz partner did his on a traeger started last night at 11pm at 180F. At 5 am, bumped up to 225F. He is sending me additional details that I will share. His pics looked good, but a little dry.

yes, I got 5#. Pictures below. Y’all, the full brisket was 18 ducking pounds!!!! My biz partner took the point and the flat. Left me with 5# of the middle, closer to the point, which is why there is that huge fat vein. You will see that below. Below is pre-rub. Sun was already going down and lighting is horrible in my kitchen. I rubbed with a "paste" of apple juice and my riff on magic dust from mike mills. Please note that I am not a photographer 😂
                Attached Files

Comment

Getting ready to smoke!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ok y’all! I did it! It is tender and flavorful. However, I know I can do better. I expected more of a smoke ring like I get with pork. I used white oak. My temp fluctuated a lot. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.
                    10am-2pm at 226F until internal temp was 165F
                    wrapped in double heavy duty foil
                    2pm-5pm until internal temp was 190F
                    5om-6-6:30pm rest
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                      Jfrosty27 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh man that is so juicy you could almost slurp the slice right off the cutting board! Amazing. And I agree that smoke rings are overrated. I am jealous. 👏

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Fine Job, Sister!

Droolin in progress, here!

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Third in on the smoke ring thing.

Great looking bark

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here