Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry aged chuck eye steaks (first time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry aged chuck eye steaks (first time)

My first order from Porter Road is arriving today, some dry aged chuck eye steaks! I’ve never had chuck eye steaks before, but I keep reading about how close they are to a ribeye (being the first cut ahead of ribeye), and PR had them for about half the price of their ribeye, about the same price as supermarket ribeyes on sale this week, so I just had to give them a try! Plan on treating them just like I would a ribeye with a dry brine, beef love brush, quick sear to medium rare, pepper.
    Anyone have experience with these or other suggestions?

Oh yeah, first time with dry aged beef outside of a restaurant!

Comment

Thats one of my fave cuts from Porter Road. Cook them as you described and youll be very happy. Porter road only dry ages for 8 days i think which isnt really comparable to a restaurant dry age around 20 something days, just FYI. They are bloody delicious though.

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know! I thought I read 16 days on their site, but either way, it’s gotta be better meat than I can get at the supermarket for the price! No butchers close by me right now, so I figured I’d try them out

Great steaks! Probably my 2nd favorite cut! Never had a dry aged one, but I bet they are superb.
      Attached Files

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn, that made my stomach growl! That FedEx truck better get here soon! 😎

Yep treat them exactly like rib eyes because that's essentially an extension of the same muscle, longissimus dorsi.

Love Porter Road meats, just looked at those myself and nearly fell over at the price. They used to be the "poor man's" rib eye, not no more !!!!

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        All they AR missing is the cap!

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen! Although compared to their ribeye, they’re bargain, lol 😆! I justified them to myself by comparing them to Kroger ribeyes on sale this week for 10.99.... I’m definitely too poor for the Porter Road Ribeye, and Snake River Farms? I’d have to sell a kidney....

Dry-brining now! These babies really are gorgeous pieces of meat... "poor-man’s" version or not, they look sooo much better than the supermarket ribeyes I paid roughly the same price for yesterday (right behind them). Can’t wait to grill these hunks of beefy awesomeness!
      Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1EDB9670-B9BB-4736-A5B2-CB7FE9B17585.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	865435 Last minute change of plans—- gonna give the reverse sear one more try, keeping this thing as cool as I can, just a few hickory chips, gonna pull early and try the "afterburner" method for a fast sear... that way, if they aren’t quite warm enough after the sear, I still have a cool grill to finish the last 5 degrees or so if needed

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	FFFF6D89-511B-4FAE-BA7E-C80253CEE333.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	865493Click image for larger version  Name:	454DBFC3-8526-4C71-9D50-1C86A6B4063A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	112.4 KB ID:	865492 Absolutely incredible! Pulled off at 110, seared about a minute per side, came out a perfect 125, rose to 130 by the time we dug in! Bonus: the Ol Lady is now a medium-rare fan, so no more overcooking steaks for her! These are hands-down as good as any ribeye I’ve ever had, and better than ANY supermarket meat I’ve ever bought. Porter Road is my new go-to!
          Last edited by patcrail; June 19, 2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            I know, 20 degrees sounds like one hell of a rise after cooking low at 200, but I trust my Thermopro TP03H, and I went directly from indirect to sear over the "afterburner", so whatever the actual temps were in-between, it all worked beautifully in the end on this cook! Have a TP-17 coming Sunday, so I’ll get a better handle on grill temp —- it’s a Smokey Joe, so it has its own characteristics, just gotta learn it—— pretty damned happy with the 2nd cook ever on it!

Congrats on a great cook!

Comment

I like Porter Road A LOT! Dom’t Be afraid to try Pat LaFieda! They are excellent.

that said, I think I need to try the PR chuck eye. They look incredible! GREAT cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here