Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up today

Local farm in town. Love supporting local businesses. Family owned for a long time. Can't go into store. Curb side. Well no curb on a farm. Saw these on FB page. Picked up a couple. Never had Denver steak. Also got a almost 3# chuck roast. Poor man's burnt ends. Denver's not cheap at $14..99 a #. Chuckie 6.99 #. Worth it to me to support local. I'll update on the cooks. Pictures done in basement prior to putting in freezer. So, not great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200616_133607.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	863894Click image for larger version  Name:	20200616_133618.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	863895Click image for larger version  Name:	20200616_133629.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	863896

​​​​​​
    ​​​​​
    Last edited by RichieB; June 16, 2020, 04:41 PM.

Looks great!

Comment

For those that don't know a Denver steak is a cut from the chuck that is very tender similar to a sirloin. There are only a very few from each cow making them very rare. They are usually about 1" thick and need fast high heat cooking to brown and are best served at med-rare. So maybe no more than a minute a side. They are well marbled and the grain is highly visible, so cut across the grain for best tenderness.

Comment

^^^what mountainsmoker said. I love denver steaks. I usually sous vide then sear mine but a hot fast cook would be the "everyday" way to go. They have great beefy flavor. Its one of the few steak cuts i actually prefer sous vide.

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might go the sous vide way.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          RichieB i usually go 130 for 4 hours but you can adjust to ur desired preference. The first time i did them i bought from porter road and they recommend 125 for 4 hours sous vide. That came out a little too rare, especially for the wife. Ive found 130 to be the sweet spot followed by a hard sear.

Nice pickup! That would be cool to be able to drive to a farm and pickup some cuts like that.

Comment

RichieB I think I have been to this place. Took a ride with my nephew who lives in Avon to a farm/meat store 2 summers ago up near Worcester. If this is the same place real good quality cuts. You are lucky to have a local source.

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            This is Western Massachusetts. Worcester is about 30 miles east.

• tiewunon
            tiewunon commented
            Editing a comment
            I just talked to my nephew and he said yep that was the place. I got the trips confused. We went to Holy Cross first to pick up his daughter one weekend. The following werkend we went up to the farm. Awful when you get old and can't remember squat.
            My nephew found the place thru his work. He delivers eqpt for United Rentals and they rented something and he delivered it. He swears by the place and said he typically makes 2 runs a summer up there.

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a small world. It's a 10 minutes from the house. Here's their website. I doubt they ship, but if intrested you can ask.

Austin Brother’s Valley Farm is traditional beef farm in Belchertown, MA, with naturally raised cattle. Situated on 130 acres of green pasture, this farm offers USDA inspected meat products as well as activities and events for the whole family.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here