Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot sauce binder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot sauce binder

First things first. I did not take pictures so it didn't happen, I know. But this weekend was having friends over and wanted to do shredded beef tacos. I found a brisket point and 2 chuck roasts. I smoked them on my WSM 22" and they were great. I usually inject a beef base in briskets and use that as a binder but I didn't inject this time. So I tried sriracha sauce as a binder. Didn't use much and they were excellent as we tried them before shredding.

I will probably do it again as they had a hint of heat but not over bearing. Has anyone else used hot sauce as a binder? Did everyone like it if you did? The reason I ask is I will put hot sauce on darn near anything. So I might not be the best judge.

I rarely feel the need for any kind of binder, but occasionally spritz with a little water from a spray bottle. But if hot sauce works for you, I see no reason to not do it.

Comment

i use franks all the time. Doesnt tend to add much heat but it works as a binder for rub and like you, ill throw hot sauce on pretty much anything.

Comment

Chronic hot sauce user, an yup, I've used it as a binder...worked jus fine.

Comment

I always use hot sauce as a binder on beef. Louisiana usually cause it's cheap.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll add we have done hot sauce side by side with worsh-yer-sister sauce blind. Everyone but one chose hot sauce, so apparently it makes a bit of difference.

I like using a hot sauce like Tabasco or Crystal as a binder.

Comment

Yep I like Crystal or my own Habenero blend.

Comment

Confirmed Cholula addict here ... and use it as a binder on pulled pork and brisket. Fab!

Comment

Oh yeah. Hot sauce rocks. Pick your fave and use the heck out of it.

BTW, if you like that spicy kick, try Steve Raichlen's Korean Pulled Pork with gochujang. OMGoodness, is it ever delicious. Serve it with Raichlen's Korean BBQ sauce. Yummy.

I serve it on steamed white Chinese buns and with a Vietnamese slaw-like salad on the side.

jfmorris turned me on to that Raichlen recipe, and every time I make it, I bless him.

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I just pulled a vacuum bag out of the deep freeze with a pound of that Korean pulled pork in it, and that will be my dinner tonight, while the wife eats some bland stuff... I love the flavor gochugang brings to the table for wings and BBQ.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here