Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stacked Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stacked Brisket

Weber man, no frills.

Gotta cook two packers, so how about stacking them? Which way would you stack? Going salt-pepper dry rub. Starting early tomorrow morn, already rubbed. Serving late afternoon. Texas crutch = yes. Trimmed, no injection. Garnish/toppings will be on the fly.

Problem with the Weber is heat. Gets too hot. Realize I'm from the smoking-cooking, flaming-done BBQ background. You know the style, fire a pyramid of Kingsford and pray. Would love some guidance on number of plain-jane Kingsford briquettes. I'm now well institutionalized thanks to Meathead: reverse sear/slow cook many cuts.

Beans. Planning a dutch oven of beans to help indirect heat.

Wife made bread, I can't let her down. Well that wouldn't be a first, but I don't want to again. <ouch>

We're setup with a few thermometers, and attempt to regulate temps exactly. Love the science bent, but of course there's no pure science for flavor.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

What Weber you cooking on?

I wouldn't stack by any means.

Comment

Welcome, I concur with no stacking. If you have the 22" Weber kettle which I am assuming by the charcoal you can take a look at this, I posted how I kept a really long burn going with minimal coals.

Comment

Perfect comments, thanks. Yep, Weber 22. Couple holes drilled for my probes. Otherwise stock. I'll give John's method a whirl.

Have you tried the recommended Texas sauces? I'm not a big sauce guy.

Going to cook whole. This is the beginning of the experiment. Gotta start somewhere.

I'm wide open to suggestion, BBQ4FUN!

Comment

Meathead's Texas Mop Sauce compliments brisket nicely. I leave out the beer, and add some Wondra flour (while cooking a little longer) to thicken it up some.

In Texas the traditional barbecue sauce recipe is usually more like a tomato soup, thin and spicy, it penetrates the meat.

I add a little water when I crutch, that also provides some nice gravy/juice when it is complete.

Comment

Ran two webers, one for each brisket using John's fuse. Worked pretty well. Outside temp was steady between 58 and 62 degrees, we got 3 hours of cooking time with 12 starting coals and 40 in the fuse.

Instead of sauce we made a large pot of beans that simmered below the meat while cooking. I think the beans were better than our meat. We'll spiral the process a few more times, it's getting better (this is our second stab).

Thanks for the recommendations, good fun.

Comment

Yeah, drippings bring nuttin' but goodness.

Comment

Too late for this cook, but I found a recipe for a sauce, for those who need it, from LBJ's Pitman, Walter Jetton. It's a good thin sauce with awesome flavor. Not a bad addition for leftovers when the brisket gets a little dry.

1 1/2 cups water
                1 cup ketchup
                1/2 cup cider vinegar
                3 stalks celery, chopped
                1/4 cup butter
                1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
                2 tbsps chopped onion
                3 bay leaves
                1 clove garlic, minced
                1 tsp sugar
                1 tsp chili powder
                1 tsp paprika
                1 tsp salt
                pinch of black pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Place in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and strain.
                Makes about 3 cups

(Personally, I skip the celery because I never have any in the house.)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here