Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Eye Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Eye Steak

I recently ran across a butcher that has chuck eye steaks available on a regular basis. First time I have ever seen them although I have read about them here in the "Pit". If I remember correctly all the comments were positive with some even saying it was their favourite cut?

Can someone bring me up to speed on these? I’d love to give them a try but I’m unsure on the best way to prepare them. I didn’t buy any but the ones I saw in the case seemed on the thinner side.

Thanks,

From me, you have probably read It's one of my fave's. It's just a cross eyed Ribeye. Treat it as such. Normally I can get them pretty thick so I cook them up like a good Ribeye. If you do find some thin Chuck Eyes, let me tell ya, get em! Freeze em up. They make some of the best steak sandwiches you can find on a weeknight between two slices of Texas toast.
    Last edited by lonnie mac; June 12, 2020, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• rodkeary
      rodkeary commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. I’ll be down there on Sunday so I’ll see what they have. I’ll try for the thin ones and ask if they will cut some thicker ones as well. Finally found a decent butcher. What a difference.

Thanks,

2nd only behind the ribeye for me, picked up about 15lbs of them yesterday.

Comment

• rodkeary
      rodkeary commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I’m really looking forward the trying these out. Completely new experience for me.

Yep a chuck steak is delicious. I like the thick ones cooked on cool side of Med-rare. If you are dealing with a good butcher ask him to cut you some Thicker ones. I like them about 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick.

Comment

Chuck eye is amazing. Generally speaking, if i can get those im not paying for ribeye.

Comment

I’ve written about them several times here. They are the end of the chuck roll on the first couple of ribs immediately adjacent to the rib (or ribeye) section of the cow. They are essentially ribeyes in their own right.

They used to call them the poor man’s ribeye but my biggest complaint is they’ve caught on in popularity so the prices are approaching their neighboring cuts. Good if you can still get them cheap.

Comment

• rodkeary
          rodkeary commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t honestly know what the price is on these. I never even thought to check as I was shocked to even come across them. I’ll find out tomorrow when I go back downtown.

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman you're correct there are 7 muscles that make up the chuck only two can be grilled and one of those need to be marinated or similarly treated. I loved watching my granddad and dad take apart the chuck.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here