Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting read on grass fed beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting read on grass fed beef

USDA's 'grass fed' beef label may not be what it seems | AGDAILY
    Don’t buy into the marketing or media hype that grass-fed or grain-fed is better than the other. It boils down to a very specific science.

Marketers will always find creative/dishonest ways to get consumers to buy their products. That's why usually buy meat from better markets that actually have information about which farms the food comes from.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Not true. Just look for the "Heart Healthy" label. 🤦🤦

Great read Backroadmeats . Thanks for posting the article.

Comment

Reminds me of the Black Angus label, like it’s something really, really, really special. I know a couple of farmers here who raise Herefords. I would have no problem eatin from their stock, actually would prefer it since I see em walk-in around.
      The food labeling biz is a racket. One has to be careful about you are reading & buying. BTW here’s one fer ya’ll: Natural Flavors. Guess what that is really about.

Comment

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Natural flavors...crushed bugs? Maybe that’s just for coloring 🤣

Grass fed, corn fed, grain fed....at the end of the day how do you know....
      Same as Angus beef being all the rage, once the fur coats off how do you know.
      You could be buying some milked out old Guernsey cow not the prime Angus steer its labeled as.
      Thanx for posting.

Comment

I remember some guy from Texas who had grass fed black Angus talking about this very thing...that guy ate corn fed beef though...who was that guy?...

Comment

I don't really like the flavor of 100% grass fed beef. Has to be finished and fattened up on grain. You sure won't see any prime grass fed and finished meat at least I never have.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            You won't. Most people NoRoll them.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Although perhaps they need to be to put into the "false marketing" category, our local HEB chain carries a specific grass fed, grass finished brand of beef that does carry a USDA Choice label. I asked the head meat cutter about it one day and he was clueless about the labeling but claimed the meat was sourced by local Texas ranchers. Again just an observation, I don't like the stuff either so I don't buy it.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            @Trotman some ranchers have it graded, but getting grass fed grass finished beef to choice is about like getting regular beef to prime. About 3% can make it. Not worth it most of the time unless you have a big operation, and some amazing genetics.

It's like the time the wife and I were in San Diego while a food festival was going on. There was a tent advertising gluten free salsa. Or when you see in smaller font on a package of crab meat saying it's " Real imitation crab meat". A long time ago a friend bought a "leather" jacket and the tag said " genuine real imitation leather".

We've tried truly grass fed Ribeyes once and didn't care for the flavor. There was virtually no marbling. I assume that was probably why the flavor was not as rich. To each their own. Not a fan of deer or elk. Just never acquired the taste. Thanks for the read.

Comment

• Blues1
            Blues1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Kinda like, FREE......for $5.00

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Blues1 , yup, it’s called Free! Just pay shipping $6.95. Then 30 days later they clip ya for $42.95 monthly fee that ya didn’t know ya signed up for that was free. Free can be costly to expensive.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Anyone seen Calamity Jane? "genuine imitation pearls"

Good read. I think the grain finished is mostly like she states in the article to get better consistent quality. I've had some insanely good grass fed, grass finished beef, bought from a local farmer. In this case I prefer it since I can see and follow the cow from a weaning calf to the slaughter, and they get to roam the country side at their own pace until 30-36 months. THAT is quality. However, grain finished in general is more common, and more 'industry friendly', so that is what I get most of the time. And it's good. The challenge is of course trying to see past the marketing hype and all these labels where you don't know what it means anymore.

Comment

Good article thank you. Buying local is something that we are hearing more and more. Not a bad thing either.

Comment

Yep to everything in that article. I've explained that very topic to multiple people looking for better beef (they ask me because they know when I was a kid up through college my family raised beef, mostly angus-cross). Although I hadn't thought about the "corn is technically a grass" angle!

Comment

Interestin article, thanks fer postin, Brother...

Comment

You mean I’ve been eating " grass on the cob" all these years? What’s next, Farm Babe is a guy?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    ComfortablyNumb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I thought he was a small pig that talks to sheep.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No Farm Guy is a babe

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman @ComfortablyNumb
                    I cooked babe, both the pig and the big blue ox...
                    Last edited by texastweeter; June 11, 2020, 11:55 AM.

Ok, so some cattle are grain fed, some grass fed, some finished one way or another.....It doesn't matter because if the grass or grain aren't good quality then the meat isn't going to be quality either!! The meat will take on the quality and taste of what it's been fed. So if you really want good meat, you need to buy from a reputable farmer/rancher and go inspect his pastures, barns, feed lot, watering access...ect. Not just looking to see what breed they are raising like Hereford, Angus, Simmental or some kind of a cross breed....the breed doesn't matter if it's not fed a good diet or doesn't have access to good clean water!!

Comment

And yet.. where do most of us *really* buy meat? No, really. Costco, HEB, Sam's etc. I see other posts lamenting the cost of beef from people who pay $5/lb for brisket... and feel it's a lot. Those are industrial products. You're not getting the open range, grazes where they want beef from the organic farmer for that.

TLDR: There's a disconnect between the posts here and most of what I see people actually cooking here.

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Raise grass-fed grassfinished beef to sell. Buy corn fed beef to eat. My motto. To each their own.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here