Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Veal Cold Cuts in my offset smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Veal Cold Cuts in my offset smoker

I was in the supermarket looking for inspiration. I was looking for some cut of meat I haven't done in a while (or preferably not at all, but that's a bigger challenge). To my surprise I found a veal roast. Great! I figured this is a perfect job for my offset smoker 'Rude Boy'. I figured I could smoke it, let it cool off, and then cut thin slices that resembled roast beef, so I could make me a delicious sandwich. So, that's what I did!

I trimmed some silvery membranes off, but there was very little trimming needed. I then applied 2 tbsp of Hank's Signature Steak Rub, and fired up my smoker. Using 100% oak wood. I ran it at 120-130° C (250-265° F). After 2 hours exactly the meat hit 62° C (144° F), so I took it out and tented it loosely with alu foil. I let it rest for 1 hour before I started slicing. Man, it was juicy! It was pull apart tender (like a brisket), and tasty. You could definitely pick up the rub flavors. The veal is very mild/gentle in flavor, so boosting it with a good rub is great. I think a good Cajun rub would be even better, gonna try that next time. Either way, if you can find a veal roast in your store, you gotta try this. It is veal-ly good

The roast

Click image for larger version  Name:	SmokedVealColdCuts-1.jpg Views:	8 Size:	104.7 KB ID:	859716

Rub applied

Click image for larger version  Name:	SmokedVealColdCuts-2.jpg Views:	8 Size:	298.5 KB ID:	859717

The smoker

Click image for larger version  Name:	SmokedVealColdCuts-3.jpg Views:	8 Size:	326.2 KB ID:	859720

Meat in the smoker (kinda lonely in there)

Click image for larger version  Name:	SmokedVealColdCuts-4.jpg Views:	8 Size:	295.0 KB ID:	859719

Meat after resting

Click image for larger version  Name:	SmokedVealColdCuts-5.jpg Views:	8 Size:	270.4 KB ID:	859718

And the finished product. Yum! Fancy a slice?

Click image for larger version  Name:	SmokedVealColdCuts-6.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	859721
    Last edited by Henrik; June 10, 2020, 08:07 AM.

Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

Man that looks good!

Comment

That is an unusual find. You must be a brother from another mother for sure, I have some veal cutlets that I have a great recipe in mind for

Also got a chuckle out of that second shot with that lil ole roast inside of that Big Bad Rude Boy. Man you could create an apartment inside there !! Good work as usual Hank !!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Yes, I saw that when taking the photo. Will have some garden work done in two weeks (by a company that have caterpillars), the old boss kept staring at my smoker today, so I'm gonna treat them to some good old 'cue when they work. Should fill the smoker up then.

Man that looks so good. We just cannot get that nice white veal over here because of the animal activists. It is normally a dark pink to light red. Only if it comes from Europe where we can get true veal like at D'Artagnan. I love veal, Sweetbreads, chops, and roasts, like yours.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Hmm, I had no idea about it being hard to find veal due to activists. Darn trouble makers.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here