Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First crack at pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First crack at pastrami

Click image for larger version

Name:	5E636FB7-F860-46EE-AE9B-35543F8C18FA.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	858641Click image for larger version

Name:	782FACA2-4DA2-4C42-8DD4-0BE44E7F3897.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	858642 Tried to follow the Almost Katz's recipe carefully. Came out well, I think.

Pluses: I desalinated for over 24 hours, but did not change the water. That resulted in a saltiness level that was entirely acceptable. The results looked and tasted great, with the right look and flavor.

Minuses: it's a little dry. Rather than steaming, I treated it like a brisket, wrapping in butcher paper at 203 degrees and letting it sit in a faux cambro for a couple of hours. I also used two pieces of flat rather than point (I had no choice), so next time I'm going to do steaming and/or use point for comparison.

Overall, though, I'd call the maiden voyage a success. Should be good eating all week!

Do you smoke it like brisket and then steam it when you make sandwiches or do you smoke it like brisket to get the crust you want and then steam it to ~ 203d ?

Comment

smoke to 203, remove, chill etc and steam for service.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
        smoke to 203, remove, chill etc and steam for service.
        Can you quickly give me the rundown on how to steam for service? I thought that ship has sailed.

Comment

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Set up a steamer. Add pastrami. Wait. Eat.

If you slice your pastrami, it should take not more than a couple minutes to warm it up

Originally posted by Satchelpig View Post

Can you quickly give me the rundown on how to steam for service? I thought that ship has sailed.
        So, you don't steam before smoking etc. Make the corned beef, desalinate, smoke. The thing is, you need to rewarm for service, usually. Delis use steam tables etc. You could (and I have)... a) mircowave for ~1min with a little water in the container, b) heat up in a skillet, again with some water present or c) steam... in a steamer basket or in the oven using a sheet pan with the meat on a wire rack and some water below, wrapped in foil.

You can also just microwave it of course. But part of the issue is that most flats are lean, so it's hard to make them not-dry.

Comment

If you are going to make a grilled sandwich, I have found the sliced pastrami will warm nicely from the heat in the pan. I add a lid or my melting lid for the griddle and this works like a charm. But i do like the easy methods rickgregory provides above as well if you are only wanting the meat warmed and not the entire sandwich.

Enjoy!

Comment

One other method that is fairly easy. Put sliced meat in a ziplock bag with a bit of beef broth/stock, just enough to add moisture. Put a pot of water on large enough to hold the baggie, heat it to almost boil, turn the heat down low and place the bag in the hot water letting the air out (this is basically a sous vide approach). I usually place my tongs on the bag in the pan to force it down and hold the bag in place. 8-10 minutes and your pastrami is resurrected and moist.

PS. If you buy corn beef, brisket or pastrami from Katz's, this is the method they recommend for reheating their products that they ship to you.
            Last edited by GolfGeezer; June 8, 2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I smoke to 185, then steam to 200ish (tender). Use mainly flats, and they are never dry. You can even chill between the smoke and steam process if you want. Took one to 185° last night. Will steam tonight.

Comment

Qvq

Comment

This is a great post from a while back about pivoting at the steaming point, and using sous vide for the final moist heat finish.

Basically, Meatheads recipe up until internal temp of 170. Then sous vide at 195 for 4 hours.

It's been my go to reference for my multiple pastrami projects!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here