Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR's Texas Brisket (First Timer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR's Texas Brisket (First Timer)

Started at 6:00am

Ever had a brisket stall as low as 135deg?

Comment

Nope. I doubt it's really stalled. It's just a big hunk of meat and cooks pretty slowly once it gets up to a certain temp. It's going to slow down EVEN MORE when it hits 150F to 160F.

Comment

I looked over and it was still dry on the outside at 135 so I'm thinking you're right PB. It's going to be a late dinner tonight. Be worth the wait though.

Comment

Tally, I noticed the Kirklands label - is that from Costco? Is it a whole packer or a flat?

I'm trying a brisket tomorrow and really hope you will keep us posted on how yours turns out.

Dave

Comment

• Tally
            Tally commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a Costco flat. It's all they had.

Tally what temp are you at now?

Comment

Well, just woke up from a nap and I got 182 on the 8 hours into the cook.

Comment

203deg now. Just got it put in the cooler. Seems to be tons of juice and zero bark from the crutch. I am anxious now.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Im hungry now!

• Tally
                Tally commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure hope I didn't screw up Jon.

Not bad for my first run. No bark very tender and some what juicy.

Comment

With Mop Sauce.

Comment

A tad too smokey.

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd be tempted to say there is no such thing as "too smokey." But my mom also used to say it ain't BBQ if there ain't charcoal on it. (Needless to say Dad never let her near the pit.)

BTW, that looks tasty, especially with those beans.

• Tally
                    Tally commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure appreciate it boftx.

Looks good Tally. The wrap is always going to hinder the bark a bit. If you take it to a higher internal temp before you wrap you can keep more of the bark, however, this usually means cooking through the stall which will add hours to your cook time.

Comment

Thanks PB. I liked everything but the bark or lack there of. Also, even though there wasn't much of a smoke ring it was shade too smokey. I'm pleased overall and will make the proper adjustments for round 2. I can put up with the stall on pulled pork I can put up with it on brisket.

Comment

Tally, it looks great - thanks for the updates.

Comment

Yeah hoovarmin. This HOF was amazingly tender. Needs a few adjustments that are on me!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here