Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First sous vide

Dry aged ribeye sous vide at 131* for two hours. Ice bath and then refrigerated overnight.
    Seared and served. W@s medium rare throughout and tender and juicy. Only thing I did wrong
    was refrigerating, because after searing the inside was molt warm enough. Any suggestions will
    be welcome.
    Attached Files

Throw them on low and slow until the IT is up to about 125, then get the fire screaming hot and sear.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep

Looks great! +1 on what pkadare said. If you are using a grill to sear, just get a 2-zone setup so you can warm it up, then sear on the hot zone.

Comment

IMO....and I'm sure I'm in the Sous Vide minority here....most items that you are going to cook hot and fast...like a steak under say 13/4" thick you don't need to Sous Vide. YMMV though.

Comment

Skip the shock and chill for things like steak. I only do that for things like pork butt or brisket when I am smoking them after SV.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree - if you can SV and then eat immediately that is the best procedure. Shock and chill is only when you can't eat right away, but for steak the reheat time is pretty much the cook time anyway.

I'm with shify - searing should only be 30 secs or so per side.If you want to sear for longer to build more crust, you can set the steaks aside for a while. But you don't want, usually, to do 2 min per side sears. If you do that, you get the grey band of 'overdone' meat on each side and, frankly, if you're after that just do steaks the normal way.

Comment

If you cool it first, bring it back to temp slowly, or take it out of the bag and right onto the hot grill. Either way, the cold grate technique gave me the best porterhouse I have had.

Comment

If I’m chilling them for the next day, I put them back in the SV AT 120F for 60-90 minutes. Then sear.

Not an expert by any means, but this works for us.
            Last edited by andy.wpg; June 4, 2020, 08:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• sandrkimberling
              sandrkimberling commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. I do the same.

Less than 1.25” you can chill and use the same procedure you did. Or you can skip the SV altogether if it is a tender steak. If it’s a tougher cut, a longer SV can help.

Thicker than that they need to be warmed first in the SV to the temp you want. There isn’t enough time in searing for heat to travel inward, as you found.

if you do find that you are overshooting temps searing thick steaks you can warm to your SV temp, then ice bath for just a couple minutes (time again keeps the heat from leaving the center too quickly) to cool the surface. Then dry well and sear hot.

Comment

Thanks to all.....I think it’s best to not refrigerate unless necessary. I will sv and sear the same day from now on.
              I love the consistency of the chosen temp throughout the steak, so will continue employ sv.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here