Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Bad Beef Rub as a Steak Finishing Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bad Beef Rub as a Steak Finishing Touch

Big Bad Beef Rub (BBBR) will incinerate at the temps we like to sear steaks at. But I experimented with it as a finish tonight, and I was quite pleased.

After flipping the steaks (on a super-hot griddle), I generously sprinkled the top with BBBR. Since the oils were still very hot, it turned dark without burning. Then I flipped again and generously sprinkled BBBR on the other side. As quickly as I could, I flipped again and quickly removed them all to the cutting board.

I really enjoyed the color, sheen, and flavor. You can NOT let it burn, but I found this rub and technique to be a really nice change of pace to my normal way of doing things.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B5AED40A-40FF-4AD6-B6C8-0863DD837DAD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	856785Click image for larger version  Name:	7623BF54-9FF3-47B1-93C6-8415A34D0B2B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.31 MB ID:	856786
    Last edited by Charley Langer; June 4, 2020, 12:08 AM.

I made some for a guy and he started putting it on his toast and popcorn.

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s funny!! 😂

Try Carne Crosta. It's made for high heat searing.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that stuff.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      2nd that!

Looks like you got some awesome crust on that bad boy! Nice work!

Comment

Amen, love it as a steak rub. It works ok too searing on cast iron vs open flame.

Comment

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        Well... I’m actually skilled enough to burn it on a hot cast iron pan. 😂 It was really embarrassing because I was cooking for another family, and that’s when I learned to treat it with care at high temps. But when you flip a steak and sprinkle that on the hot oils— OMG! Those hot oils extract the flavor and turn dark brown. Yum!

I love BBBR and thought it helps with the caramelization. I'll have to try your method next time I grill a steak. Thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here