Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time tri-tip as a steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time tri-tip as a steak

My local market had choice Angus Tri-Tip from Harris Ranch on sale for $4.99/lb so I bought 4. Just me tonight and I didn't want to make a whole tri-tip. I have seen tri-tip steaks so I cut some up into steaks and made one. Seasoned with McCormick's Montreal Steak Rub and cooked for 5 minutes (flipping 4 times David Parrish ) on screaming hot GrillGrates using the flat side . Wow! Served with sweet white corn on the cob and leftover potato salad from Memorial Day. And a nice Malbec!

Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip-steak.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	85667

That is an EXCELLENT sear!

Comment

Nice! You mind going back to the market, picking me up a half dozen or so

Comment

That is brilliant. I never thought of getting another one and just cutting it up into soon-to-be-medium-rare portions.

I just had a steak at Applebee's. Very thick, with about 1/8" medium-rare waaaaaaaaay in the middle. Sucker came fast, though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
          Nice! You mind going back to the market, picking me up a half dozen or so
          Sure. I don't mind eating them for you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
            That is brilliant. I never thought of getting another one and just cutting it up into soon-to-be-medium-rare portions.

I just had a steak at Applebee's. Very thick, with about 1/8" medium-rare waaaaaaaaay in the middle. Sucker came fast, though.
            First, what the hell are you doing ordering steak at Applebee's? Second, what the hell are you doing at Applebee's?

Cutting into steaks is easy, just remember to cut across the grain. That will leave you with some triangle shaped corner pieces and maybe a smallish steak. I cut two whole tri-tips into steaks and cut those odd pieces up for stew.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm away from home for work. Applebee's is on the way back to the hotel. I typically treat myself to one overpriced meal. Rest of the week is fast food, multiple meals off of one delivered pizza, and sammiches.

And I am no doubt well aware of the grain on them dudes.

mgaretz, Sounds like you have a winner there Mark.

Comment

Thanks for the input. BTW, although I hesitate to say so publicly, oh well, here goes -
              I had one of the best restaurant steaks at Applebee's that I have ever had. As I mentioned that to others, I got a lot of raised eyebrows ( and probably instant write offs as any kind of connesouir) but I gotta tell it like it is.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I waited on tables at Applebee's to finish college. I'm more partial to the Outback Special as for as a "not so expensive hunk of meat" that is pretty darn good.

That looks like a winner to me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here