Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolled and Tied Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolled and Tied Brisket

I was talking to the owner of the BBQ restaurant I frequently visit for food and I have always enjoyed her Brisket. I asked her how she prepared it and she actually rolls and ties up the brisket after trimming and seasoning it. She said she starts at the flat and rolls it up then ties it up. She says this keeps the flat from drying out and makes it so she can fit more in her smoker. She did say it takes a bit longer but since she puts the briskets on at 9:00 PM time is really not a factor. I asked her about "bark" formation and she asked back "Is my Brisket Great". I had to give it to her she was correct. She serves the brisket either cubed or shredded so slice ing is not an issue for her.

Has anybody here ever rolled and tied a brisket?

Not I, sounds intriguing but don't know if I'd ever try it

Comment

Interesting. I buy a half beef every year, and the butcher rolls it before freezing. I’ve always unrolled it for smoking. Maybe I’ll try it rolled one of these days.

Comment

I value brisket bark too much to ever do that, but I guess that's what works for her.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point on the bark

Very interesting.

It works for her and I’m sure she making money this way, in her system with coefficients rather than generating bark for a different clientele.

she's doing this thing well and it’s unique. Good for her. May I ask what Qjoint this is?

Comment

they roll brisket commonly in Europe I believe.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Popular in RSA cooked with indoors oven. I have thought about smoking a rolled brisket and only because of the quality / size of those that I'm able to get. In the nearly 3 years of smoking meats I've only found 2 worthy of a smoke.

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe it is and english thing. I have seen Scott Rea, and Gordon Ramsey do this.

Is that called " smoking a fatty ?"

Comment

Yea I saw Scott Rea do it on one of his videos so I gave it a try. It didn't really come out that great, I think it was the lack of bark. It also didn't really rendered out very well and was kind of tough. It might work if it were SVQd but never thought to try it again.

​ ​ ​

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I love Texas style brisket far too much to ever think I would even try this. And certainly wouldn’t try it with any costly piece of brisket.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here