Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Question

I realize that there are a plethora of pastrami posts in this subchannel (because I've read most of them) but I'm having trouble finding answers to my specific questions. For those that don't use the QVQ or SVQ methods, and who also don't steam, but use sous vide instead after the smoke:
    1. What IT do you smoke to? I know the Close to Katz recipe says to smoke to 150 if steaming or 203 if not, but what if you're planning on substituting SV for the steaming step? I'd be fine with 150 but I also want a good bark.
    2. What time and temp do you sous vide once the smoke is done?

I've just dropped the point into my PBC so I have a while until I need an answer to #1. No pressure though. :-)

Thanks!

This is the definitive post, IMO, in using SV instead of steam for a smoked pastrami:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ted#post148541

Smokes to 170° for the bark, looks like, and then tosses it in the bath at 195° for 4 hours.

Kathryn

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly what I was looking for, and I had read this great thread by David Parrish in the past. In my dotage though, I remembered it being about QVQ or SVQ, and not what it really is, QSV. Thanks a ton Kathryn!

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      The pastrami is currently in the stall. Has been sitting at 150 for the past couple of hours. I'd like it to be done in time to cook a couple of racks of baby backs on the PBC for supper, but if not, I do have another cooker or 2 I can use. :-) I may actually break out my ancient BBQ Guru controller and fan and fire up the Broil King Keg as I've not used it in a long time. Need to go and get some lump though. :-)

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      It's one of the best recipes on this site, barelfly . So delicious. You won't regret it. The first time I made it, it was too spicy for the kids in the family because, since the rub goes on all sides of the smaller boneless short rib, so there is a higher ratio of rub to meat. The adults in the family loved it--it flew off their plates. But the kids said it was too spicy. Now the little kids get their own piece of lighter-seasoned pastrami flat instead. More for us big kids.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here