Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a good carne asada recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good carne asada recipe

Any recommendations? Looking for something with a good bite of heat to it but not overwhelming. Also, any opinions on flap vs skirt vs flank?

I am a big fan of Roy Choi’s take on carne asada. I usually make a little extra marinade to set aside for chips and salsa.
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...is-carne-asada
    Last edited by Spacecase; May 30, 2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Wow. All good pieces of meat. For general "Carne asada" tacos here in SoCal (I was born n raised in Santa Ana) it’s usually Flap. I generally don’t pay up for flap unless it’s from the thick end and then I grind it for a FANTASTIC burger.

I love (sort of a snob with skirt) outside Prime Skirt but don’t generally do below prime.

(Choice) Flank is great for taking on bold, big marinades and cooked below hot n fast (more like less hot n less fast) to not more than 135° IMHO and used sliced in tortas or sandwiches. Prime flank you can treat a little harder for more char. This stuff love salt and acid!

This is just me though

For heat on the flap grind some Moritas and ancho for a deep depth flavorful heat. I have a very specific profile I like but i think I’m alone in my liking of this. Although fzxdoc seemed to take an interest.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to say the same exact thing except for I like dried poblanos in my grind.

• Satchelpig
        Satchelpig commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike - I'm pretty sure ancho ARE dried poblanos.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Satchelpig No way! They're not even spelled the same!

In So. Cal, Carne Asada recipes are like opinions...… everyone has one. This is mine and not hot (add minced jalapenos/serranos if wanted):
      1 lb. Flap meat (flap meat is easier to find for me)
      4 Limes
      4 Cloves Garlic, minced
      1 Tbsp Chili Powder
      1 tsp Cumin
      1 tsp Oregano, dried
      1/4 C. EVOO
      1/2 Onion, sliced
      1/2 C. Cilantro, chopped
      Kosher Salt
      Fresh ground pepper

In mixing bowl: add oregano, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, EVOO, and squeeze limes. Salt and pepper meat, add to bowl and knead meat and herb mixture together. Refrigerate 30 min - 1.5 hours. Don't go over 2 hours. Acid from the limes will turn the meat mushy.
      Last edited by TripleB; May 30, 2020, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Satchelpig
        Satchelpig commented
        Editing a comment
        Gonna give this one a whirl for dinner tomorrow. Using the Ancho-Morita grind that HouseHomey and CaptainMike suggested as the Chile powder.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s good stuff above. Love the oregano too.

I add my "asado marinade" while cooking Sliced skirt on the flat top. Let it cook for on the meat.
      1 sliced yellow oniin
      1 lb sliced skirt
      2 finely diced jalapenos
      4 minced cloves of garlic
      2 tsp cumin
      1.5 tsp chili powder
      1 tsp sage
      1 tsp paprika
      1 tap Mexican oregano
      1/4 tsp Cinnamon
      1 tsp kosher salt
      1/2 cup water
      1 Tbs oil (bacon grease)
      juice of 2 limes

Comment

Maybe it’s just me, but I prefer to keep the meat simple. I’ll use a good quality skirt steak, just salt and pepper, seared over coals. I’ll add various salsas, hot sauces, peppers, etc as toppings to get the heat and flavor profile I’m looking for.

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. When I make steak tacos or steak bowls, I generally just salt and pepper my meat and provide the extras on the side. Same with Chicken. My recipe above is when we have the friends over or doing a block party, then I dress it up a bit.

Always start with Rick Bayless.

Comment

I’ve lived in SoCal for over a decade and I too keep it simple. I use skirt steak sliced super thin and marinated in Goya Marinade, Mojo Criollo maybe 8 hours or so. Cooked over coals until the meat is nice and crispy, which takes maybe 10 minutes a side or so, and served with favorite toppings.
          Last edited by STEbbq; May 30, 2020, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Your profile says Chicago 🤔

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. I lived in SoCal for over a decade but now live near Chicago. I see I had some poor grammar in the original post. Oops.
            Last edited by STEbbq; May 31, 2020, 07:06 AM.

This is pure simplicity.
          Let’s say it all together: Summer taco party. Your friends are over, the beer is flowing and everyone’s hungry. And, like it or not, they’re expecting something good. They’re probably expecting steak tacos. So … what kind of steak tacos are you going to make? You have several options — skirt steak, or flank steak or minute … Continue reading The Perfect Steak Taco →

this is a bit more involved:

there’s no wrong way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here