Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Time!

My 1st "cook" post to the pit. Also my 1st time attempting a Brisket. I did not get a whole packer brisket. I picked up about a 6lb flat. Salted and left in fridge over night. This morning rubbed with Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub and got on the Camp Chef DLX set on Hi Smoke (220) about 7 am. I dont think the flat will take as long as a whole brisket so I told the wife we might be having lunch or somewhere between lunch and diner. Will post another pic before I wrap.

Attached Files

Have fun! Beware, often times flats still take the same length of time, they always do for me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      Have fun! Beware, often times flats still take the same length of time, they always do for me anyway.
      Ok... Maybe a late dinner then.. Good thing we have snacks!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I find that an 8-8:30pm dinner gets RAVE reviews from the starving family. Makes up for them cursing my name from 6pm ownward.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL btdt.

Looks good. Have fun!

Comment

Be sure to add in time for a 2 hour rest in cooler or Cambro.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Or you can hold in your oven set to it's lowest temp wrapped tightly in foil. This works when your brisket is done early and you need to hold for supper.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, as RonB sez, works fer me, which is good, since I cain't even begin to spail Cambro, much less do I have one

Its gonna be awesome! Enjoy your cook!

Comment

If you need to speed things up you can always wrap or up the cook temperature.

Comment

That looks great!

Enjoy your first cook with a brisket - I find they're one of the most fun, rewarding and challenging cuts to smoke 🤠

Comment

Looks great, so far!
              Have a great, an enjoyable day, Brother!
              Lookin forward to yer results.

Comment

join the club this morning so my first post. I have an 8.7 pound brisket flat which I had ready to put in my electric master built smoker but I’ve had it heating for two hours and can’t get it to 275. It seem to stall at around 240 And now I see it’s up to 254. Do I just wait it out and have a really late night meal or go ahead and put it in there?

Comment

• orphious
                  orphious commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Weird that you cant get your electric smoker to temp.. Im no expert. This is my 1st time doing a brisket so there's that. But seems to me there would be a problem with your smoker if you cant get it to 275... I would put it in if you have to cook it today and have a longer cook. Maybe one of the experts on the site can chime in. Then again if there is a problem with the smoker you dont want it to die in the middle of your cook either,,,
                  Last edited by orphious; May 25, 2020, 09:21 AM.

Originally posted by orphious View Post
                My 1st "cook" post to the pit. Also my 1st time attempting a Brisket. I did not get a whole packer brisket. I picked up about a 6lb flat. Salted and left in fridge over night. This morning rubbed with Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub and got on the Camp Chef DLX set on Hi Smoke (220) about 7 am. I dont think the flat will take as long as a whole brisket so I told the wife we might be having lunch or somewhere between lunch and diner. Will post another pic before I wrap.
                Here we are at the stall.. Internal temp 170 at 1:15 pm. Wrap this baby up and added a cup of beef broth. Note to self - get wider foil this next time. hard to keep the broth from leaking. I added another piece of foil.
                Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_116566.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	851747 Doing my first brisket today (a small one), too! Found a coffee rub recipe in the NYT. Looks done before it even goes in! (It looks a lot darker in real life). Using PBC. I know I probably don't need the recommended double-hook, but I decided to try it out for future reference.
                  Last edited by Green Caribou; May 25, 2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Here we are at the stall.. Internal temp 170 at 1:15 pm. Wrap this baby up and added a cup of beef broth. Note to self - get wider foil this next time. hard to keep the broth from leaking. I added another piece of foil.

Aaaaaaand 3:15 pm its in the Cambro... gonna let it set prob till about 5:30ish and then slice.

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s great, nothing to worry about. 2 hours hold in the cambro is just what the brisket needs :-)

Aaaaaaand 3:15 pm its in the Cambro... gonna let it set prob till about 5:30ish and then slice.
                    The finished product. Ate right at 5:30. Couple of things.. Bark was a bit soggy. I think this is due to the foil wrap and adding broth. Would it have been firmer with out the broth and with out the foil? I think every brisket recipe says to put it in foil at the stall. All so any recommendations on rubs other than the Big Bad Beef Rub or just salt and pepper? My wife liked the brisket but the spiciness of that rub not so much. I think she would thing the salt and pepper rub would be to spicy with the pepper as well. Anyway, here is the finished product!

Attached Files

Comment

• orphious
                      orphious commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep I consider it a success. My wife really liked the beefiness of it and it was tender and juicy. I really like that rub and I like the spiciness of it. But as they say happy wife, happy life right? And thanks for the link. I definitely will be cooking up another this summer. Not sure Ill get a whole packer though. I think that will be way to much meat for my family of 5...and with social distancing and all...

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      orphious I think you will find a Dalmatian rub plenty spicy, honestly. In my opinion, the smoke and fire creates a lot of spice all by itself. As far as whether you cook a whole packer, or not, here’s a couple things to consider. 1. The leftovers make awesome chili and hash :-) 2. The whole packer cooks much better, in my opinion, than a hunk o’ flat. 3. Freeze the remnants and use them for chili, beans, beef barley soup, and more.

• Red Man
                      Red Man commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I cook whole packers just for me and my wife! Lots of things that can be done with leftovers.

Nice result! Re: your comment on the soggy bark... You may want to experiment with wrapping in "pink" butcher paper instead of foil. It tends to breath more than foil but may extend cook time a bit vs the foil. I’ve used it with outstanding results. Find it in grocery stores, depending on where you live, local butcher, or Amazon. A good reason to put another brisket on the pit soon!

Comment

• orphious
                      orphious commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep! Definitely encouraged to try again. I'll try the butcher paper on my next cook. I got pork butt sitting in the fridge so that will be my next cook sometime this week. I've done a couple of those already so not worried about how that comes out at all.

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I do believe the mushy bark was due to the beef broth. I’ve never put any sort of liquid in when I wrap, and I always wrap with foil, and never have a problem with mushy bark. That said, tons of folks love butcher paper and it works well for them, so worth a try.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here