Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dino-Ribs on the PBC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dino-Ribs on the PBC!

First time cooking beef short ribs on the PBC. This is probably my favorite meat to smoke - basically a brisket point on a bone!

Purchased a USDA Choice 4-bone chuck rib plate weighing a little over 5 pounds.

Fat and silver skin were removed and the plate was cut into 2-bone sections.

Salt brined for about 2 hours (this was a last minute decision), then applied a liberal coat of Big Bad Beef Rub.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200524_120140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	851298

PBC setup:
    Filled basket with B&B lump charcoal, 2 chunks of hickory, and 2 chunks of cherry. A small chimney of lump was lit and when almost ashed over was poured on top of unlit lump in basket. This was allowed to burn, lid off, for about 15 minutes. Placed lid (without rebar) and let it burn for 10 minutes more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200524_120224.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.71 MB ID:	851299

Ribs were placed bone down on the grate. This is how they looked after 2 hours:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_142617.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	851306

After 3 hours and 45 minutes - done!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200524_174909.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	851302Click image for larger version  Name:	20200524_180438.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	851303

Verdict: the PBC delivered once again! The only change I would make is wrapping in foil (which I usually do).. I prefer a softer crust on my ribs.
    Last edited by ColonialDawg; May 24, 2020, 07:04 PM.

Them look delicious, Nice Job, Brother!

Comment

Beautiful! PBC, pbc, pb………….!

Comment

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        I firmly believe there is not another smoker out there, at any pricepoint, that is easy to use while delivering consistent results. Simple yet effective.

This is one of my favs. I do them at 235 for about 9 hours. No wrap. Hit with Penzey’s prime rib rub the night before. Baste with Stubbs mop sauce every hour. Yum. In fact we had left overs last night. Diced into small cubes, then warmed in bbq sauce. Served on toasted Hawaiian Buns. Cole slaw on the side. Yum.

Comment

I like Clint Cantwell 's CCC rub. Really makes the beef pop.

Comment

Nice cook! You have inspired me to give these a go!

Comment

I swear Canadian cattle must not have ribs, I can't find those anywhere.
            Nice job.

Comment

Spot on I would say !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	smiling-face-with-heart-eyes.png
Views:	298
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	851506

Kathryn

Comment

P.S. May I put your cook information on the PBC sticky of Cook Times on the PBC? Did you happen to clock the PBC's temp? ColonialDawg

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; May 25, 2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                    ColonialDawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc Sure, go ahead! Unfortunately I don't watch temps on my PBC - it doesn't like it when I do. The rebar was left out so I'm sure temps were a little higher.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you, ColonialDawg .

K.

Excellent cook. Beef ribs are one of my favorite cooks too.

Comment

Great write up and pictures; those look great!

Comment

Nice work 👍

Comment

Those look awesome! In your pic it looks like the basket was wrapped in foil and set to one side of the barrel; is that correct? If so what effect did it have on temps.?

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                          ColonialDawg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Basket was centered. My pic was taken slightly offset to avoid the smoke. I place foil under the basket to catch the ash. It makes cleanup easy - before my next cook I just bundle up the ashes and discard. While I love the PBC, I didn't care for the ash catcher. Foil works better.

Man I wish I could find beef ribs like that locally. Nice cook ColonialDawg .

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                          ColonialDawg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Any major grocery store should have them, but you just have to ask the folks behind the counter and get it before it’s processed into short ribs and flanked style ribs. I’ve never seen a full plate out on the meat shelf.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here