Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doner Kebab on MB560

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEbbq
    replied
    fzxdoc I am very happy you liked the book and I agree with your comments. The flavors are great and for me anyway, it gives me lots of creative ideas for food I have never thought about! The pre-recipe blurbs are definitely entertaining. I am pleased I was able to add some value for such a experienced member. 😃

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Nice-looking Chicken Doner, Sierra007 . I like your thoughts to use thighs next time. More flavorful and less apt to dry out.

That ManBQue Eat Street book is a real keeper. Thank you so much, STEbbq for recommending it.

I made their Moroccan Mini Burgers with Harissa Yogurt and Fresh Mint and served it with a side of fries and their Dill Tzatziki. What a flavorful meal. Instead of making sliders, I made 4 smashburgers from that pound of meat. Plus I used beef instead of lamb. Not a lamb lover except to look at the little guys on the hoof.

There are some amazing recipes in that book. It could have used a better editor--I'm a stickler about misspellings and there's a chicken wing recipe that omits how the wings are to be cooked, for example, but the recipes still have powerhouse flavors. Plus it's fun to read. Their pre-recipe blurbs are so entertaining!

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; June 14, 2020, 06:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    That looks awesome! Great job!

I agree on the meat choices. Next time I am going to try Milanesa, which is already nice and thin.

Leave a comment:

• Sierra007
    replied
    Ok, so I went with chicken breast (pounded to about 1/4 in. thickness) and made the marinade exactly as described in Street Eats cookbook. Smoked at 350 with a little applewood for a little more than 2 hours for 4.5 lbs of meat until 165 degrees internal. The outer edge had a few hard crusty parts but not enough for concern. Sliced down the edges in thin strips and ended up with a huge pile of chicken! Served with pita bread, tzatziki sauce, tomatoes and thin white onion. IMO it tasted very good but not like I remember. I don’t think there’s a substitute for the lamb/veal combination and a rotating vertical spit that gives perfectly moist, slightly crisp slices of meat. That being said this is keeper and I will make this again, maybe with boneless, skinless thighs this time. My next try be will sirloin like zero_credit did.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sierra007; June 13, 2020, 08:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome! Would love to hear your thoughts on it once it arrives!

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Just ordered it. Thanks for the link, STEbbq .

K.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    I really like it because it has all of the cool recipes that people are making in food trucks versus the traditional stuff. Lots of good ideas!

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Thank you so much for all the additional info. I'm going on a quest for that book. As if I need another cookbook.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    I am thrilled to hear this! Please do post pics and updates! Would love to tap into your kebab expertise!

• Sierra007
    replied
    Man, I am so happy I read your post! Spent over 11 yrs in Europe and have fond memories of all things donor kebab! Sandwiches, pizza or whatever! Bought the book and a vertical spit (didn’t even know there was such a thing). Will post some pics once everything comes together. Thanks again and happy grilling!

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    The meat was sirloin tip roast and I sliced it thin to stack. This was per y'all suggestions from my last doner kebab thread a few weeks back. I know lamb and veal or even chicken is sometimes used, but my wife and I really liked the beef doner kebab when we visited Europe a few years back.

The book is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Street-Ma...dp/0762458690/ . As you can tell, the book focuses on street food, and has a lot of the popular, yet hard to find street food recipes like the taco in bag, or nashville hot chicken, korean BBQ buns, or even italian beef (Chicago style), which I'd like to make one day. I've generally found that when I compare online recipes against this book, the book's recipes seem to have a lot more flavors and ingredients, so the results end up better.

The meat spit is from here: https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/meat-stick-spit .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; May 26, 2020, 11:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    a few days ago I mentioned to a friend how i could go for a donner kabob....and here it is! Excellent cook!

Would love to see a photo of a slice of that if you have one!

Leave a comment:

• troymeister
    replied
    Looks Great. Just curious, what kind of meat is that?

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Either place is good. You may get more exposure over on the SUWYC, but I like individual topics sometimes because we can discuss the cook a bit more. For example, did you use lamb for this? Shoulder? Sliced semi frozen?

And there appear to be two Eat Street cookbooks, the

Eat Street ManBQue Guide (2016) by Jesse Valenciana and others, and

Eat Street (2013) by James Cunningham. So which book do you have?

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    Wow! You guys are all so nice and encouraging!

Should I post this kind of thing in the show us what you are cooking thread next time?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here