Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malcolm Reed's Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malcolm Reed's Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

Finally got around to trying Malcom Reed's Chuck Roast Burnt Ends today. They were a big hit, and I left the (very few) leftovers for my Father-in-law to enjoy tomorrow. The receipe was really easy, and I'll definitely be using it again.

Check out the latest post from How to BBQ Right featuring Chuck Roast Burnt Ends Recipe.
    Attached Files

Them look delish, ahm'a all kinda droolin, here!
    Is $6.99 a common price fer chuckies, where yer at? generally, they's bout $4.99, here, $3.99 on th occasional sale.
    Them have some dang dang nice marblin, bet they're right tasty!
    Nicely Done, Amigo!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      They were $5.99 around here, but on sale at least once a month down to as low as $2.99. Not sure where they are at with Covid.

Never done burnt ends with a Chuck. May want to try it

Comment

Never used chuck for bunt ends but have done Malcolm Reeds recipe for pork belly burnt ends.
      Too die for.
      Hard to find chuck up here.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Brother, no short rib plates and now no chuck? Time to move. (I kid)

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        ColonialDawg Dude if you told me I had 5 mins to pack and leave this dump I wouldn't need 3 of them.
        Its my wife, for the life of me I don't know why she loves this place so much....

Originally posted by luvthemstillers View Post
      Finally got around to trying Malcom Reed's Chuck Roast Burnt Ends today. They were a big hit, and I left the (very few) leftovers for my Father-in-law to enjoy tomorrow. The receipe was really easy, and I'll definitely be using it again.

https://howtobbqright.com/2020/05/10...st-burnt-ends/
      Awesome cook!

Saw that video the other day and it made my short list of things to make in the near future. Burnt ends are always a hit around here.

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
        Hard to find chuck up here.
        Im lucky. I have a local butcher five minutes from me who is happy to get anything that he doesn’t already carry. He always has chuck on hand

Comment

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

This is something I have several times. BUT I have always done the chuckie whole. Then cut to cube later. I like this method a lot! Way shorter cook time. I will try this as soon as I canactually find a chukie to buy!

Comment

Mr. Bones I've seen chuck roasts for cheaper around here prior to Covid, but the prices have been creeping up lately. They definitely had great marbling, and really were very tasty.

Comment

Gotten to where I love doing them. Much easier and faster than brisket. Really tasty too

Comment

I had watched this video. Good to see someone else try it . Malcolm Reed and chuck roasts are a good combination...

Comment

Malcolm Reed--that guy can cook.

luvthemstillers , you did a great job.

Kathryn

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I very much enjoy Malcolm Reed, an have Great Respect, an Admiration fer him.
                      Not only is he a Good Cook, but he's jus so very affable, this comin from a confirmed despiser of Humons.

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your posts always bring a smile to my face, Mr. Bones . Thanks for that.

Kathryn

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It is always my distinct pleasure to be among th Good Folks, here. There is literally no other place like this on this Earth.
                      Whenever I am able to provide a smile to yer face, why, I feel like I done some good, today, Milady.

Just did Chuck Burnt Ends yesterday, wished I'd seen this post before I think.
                    I smoked the Chuck first and used Cattlemans Tri Tip and Plowboys Bovine Bold, injected a bit of beef broth and cooked till done, then cubed and added some honey and Masterpiece BBQ sauce, continued to cook until sauce set.

Wife loved them but thought they would have had a bit more tang considering the amount of rub I used.
                    They were pretty mild, but I wonder if the honey and BBQ sauce might have smothered the rub?
                    Also in a few spots they were a little dry, maybe over cooked them after adding the sauce.
                    And I might be a bit critical too..

Going to try the Smoke after cubing method, and maybe give the Memphis rub a shot.
                    Thanks for posting.

Al

Comment

I did Chuck Burnt Ends yesterday. I tried to follow Malcoms suggestion of cutting into 1 inch cubes. This doesn't always work because of the irregularities in the meat. I wound up with various sizes, 2 inch to less than 1 inch. I followed the recipe to a tee after cutting. 2 hours with smoke then 1 1/2 hrs covered @ 275.
                      The 1 inch and less dried out too much. I found the larger pieces shrunk to 1 inch and were very tender and juicy.
                      I went back and watched the video again and it looks like his "cubes" are larger than 1 inch.
                      My chuckie came from Costco. I will definitely make this again and make my cubes closer to 2 inches.

Comment

• andy.wpg
                        andy.wpg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the tip. I plan to make these soon, and will implement your advice.

• luvthemstillers
                        luvthemstillers commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The cubes are definitely largen than 1 in, and I think that helps to keep them tender as you found with your larger pieces. I noticed the same thing with mine.

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm gonna say, 2-3 inch cubes are a better size, given that they are gonna cook down.

Since it's never gonna be exactly a point brownie, you may as well go a bit bigger, increase the cooking time, and allow it to cook down a bit further.

This is happening with my next chuckie.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here