Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Separating a Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Separating a Brisket

Started with a 16 lb packer, trimmed about 5 lbs of fat and then separated. How'd I do? The point will become pastrami and I think I'll SVQ half of the flat and use the other half for burgers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pointandflat.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	849919

Looks to me pkadare . Eat well!

Comment

It looks like a good split. I haven't separated one yet.
      Last edited by Attjack; May 22, 2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

You still have all 10 fingers? Yes? Good job.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          I do, however, I didn't think to put on my cut proof glove until after I had to halt the process in order to apply some first aid. :-)

• andy.wpg
          andy.wpg commented
          Editing a comment
          pkadare I bought my cut proof glove because of the first time I trimmed a packer brisket! That was last spring.

Burnt ends and pastrami are what happens at my house

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I'm trying next time. Made burnt ends with the point a few weeks ago and will never go back. Looking forward to trying pastrami for the first time with the flat.

Are you really going to waste delicious brisket on burgers????

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Haters gonna hate. Don't knock it until you've tried it, absolutely nothing wrong with brisket burgers.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          pkadare I agree with Clark! Ain't no burger better than a properly-smoked brisket in my personal opinion

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Clark - to clarify, my comment was tonque-in-cheek. You do you, I'll do me, and the world will keep rolling along. I ground up 1/2 of the flat into an 80/20 blend and make some smash burgers on Saturday. They were, as all brisket burgers are, outstanding.

It has the look of success.

Comment

Top notch.

Comment

Question - Isn't the fat needed to keep the brisket moist? (I've never smoked a brisket myself). I see there is still some fat, but 5 lbs gone? Just wondering for when I actually try to smoke one.

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope. Any fat that renders really isn't going to soak into the meat. All it really does is prevent the rub getting onto the meat and then you get bark on the fat that you're not likely to eat.

• Porkies
              Porkies commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Gentleman!

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I leave some of the fat cap, especially on the flat when I am going to smoke it, even for pastrami. I like the taste. The point can be trimmed as much as you want, still gonna be good.

Looks great! My first brisket trim certainly didn’t look like yours. I’m getting better with each attempt though. I just need to find one!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here