Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should I plan to smoke a small brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should I plan to smoke a small brisket?

Good Morning,
    I am new to smoking and am going to try to smoke a 4lb brisket. It is 2-3 inch thick. The brisket is from a a cow my parents butchered, so I am unsure of the quality of the beef.
    I am doing dry brine right now. I plan on letting it brine for 12 hours. I also plan to inject the brisket with beef broth prior to smoking.
    I will be using a Smokey hallow smoke tronix electric smoker. I plan to cook at 225 degrees.

All of the cook times I have seen for smoked brisket are for larger briskets, so I am unsure of how to estimate an approximate time of smoking my brisket??

Thank you!

Hi! There’s no need to cook it at such low temps if you don’t want to. Run it at 275 and you’ll be fine. Hard to tell, but since it is small in weight I assume it’s a brisket flat? I would guesstimate 6-8 hours. Since it isn’t a full packer I would strongly advice you to wrap it when the bark is looking good.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! A picture of that hunk of meat might help determine what grade it might be.

Comment

This is a picture of the brisket.
      Attached Files

Comment

• UncleSpike
        UncleSpike commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks really nice. I would count on 6-7 hours at about 250 degrees. Because it's so small, I would definitely wrap it once you have a nice color and bark, because of it's small size. That should keep it nice and moist. Good luck! Let us know how it turned out!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Next time try leaving a 1/4 inch fat cap on your brisket. Then cook the brisket with the fat Pointed toward your heat source. It will help protect the meat below it.

Great, thank you guys for the help I appreciate it!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. That's a nice lookin' brisket. I also suggest that you at 275° and wrap when the outside is nice and dark brown. Use two layers of foil and wrap tight. If you have a leave in thermometer, start checking for tenderness when it reaches ~ 195°. If you don't have a thermometer, start checking for tenderness at around four hours even though it probably won't be done then. You check by sticking something pointy, (like a small knife or a skewer), in it through the foil. Try to stop before puncturing the bottom of the foil. It's done when your probe slides in with no resistance. That's normally a little over 200°, but could be a bit lower or higher. Pay attention to how much resistance there is the first time you poke it with a probe so you will be able to tell the difference once it is done.

Let us know how it goes - good luck.

Comment

Thank you guys for the help! My brisket turned out amazing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here