Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing HOPF for Memorial Day! LOL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing HOPF for Memorial Day! LOL!

I still haven't been brave enough to fork out the dough for a high-quality packer. I'm doing my second hunk of brisket this weekend. It's about 3.5 pounds Angus.

Anyway... it was interesting the way it was butchered. The butcher didn't have a hunk of point (HOP), but he had a hunk where there was some point overlaying the flat. So, I've dubbed it HOPF. I know I'm going to have to be careful with this one. I am just cutting my teeth on brisket, and getting a feel for the meat. I'll be ready to do a packer here pretty soon.

Right now I'm rendering the fat I trimmed. I'm doing it at 250 degrees F. Any tips on that? I'm just winging it!

I use a slow cooker. Not much to it. Just takes time.

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for that. I think that would be a more ideal way to do it. Right now, I’m doing it in CI and trying to keep the heat around 250

I've actually read / seen multiple folks doin jus that; trim until th flat is gone, cook em separately, even different days, purposes, etc. obviously...

Seems to me like a purty smart thing, especial if yer wantin X, Y, or Z, more reproducibly....Totallty git dat.

I will be replicatin this cook, so don't screw it up, Brother JK!

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! Replicate it if I'm successful. If I totally screw things up, it'll make great chili or beef Bourguignon. Hah! Thanks, bro!

There is a nice layer of fat that you can follow to separate the flat from the point. Do it both will cook at different times as the flat under the point is pretty thin. You may have 3/4lb of flat and 2 3/4lb of point. Try to keep the fat on the flat, the point doesn't need it. Take them off as done and wrap and put in a Cambro for an hour or two.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
      There is a nice layer of fat that you can follow to separate the flat from the point. Do it both will cook at different times as the flat under the point is pretty thin. You may have 3/4lb of flat and 2 3/4lb of point. Try to keep the fat on the flat, the point doesn't need it. Take them off as done and wrap and put in a Cambro for an hour or two.
      I think this piece is where the point and the flat meet. The point isn't very thick. That's why I'm a bit worried. I don't think I should try to separate, although I totally understand what you're saying. I am going to inject with Butcher BBQ injection. I am going to watch temps like a hawk. And I am going to cambro. It's a learning experience.

I'm getting up the nerve to do a full-on packer. If I screw this one up, I won't blame myself, and it'll be stew meat of some kind. Thanks for your advice. I love this group!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here