Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket to Corned Beef to Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket to Corned Beef to Pastrami

What do you do when you have a full packer and want to wind up with pastrami?
    Use the whole brisket.
    47.06%
    Use only the flat, do something else with the point.
    47.06%
    Use only the point, so something else with the flat.
    5.88%

The packer I currently have is about 16 lbs untrimmed.

Comment

By the time you trim it will be perfect.

Comment

burnt ends with the point, pastrami with the flat.

Comment

I like point. Wife likes flat. I will use either because I don’t really need a full packer worth of pastrami at any given time.

I voted point, because the deckle makes the best pastrami. But the deckle/point makes the best everything, imho.

Comment

Lots of times if I'm planning corned beef or pastrami (or both) I don't even buy a packer. Just flat.

Comment

I actually did this mother's day weekend, I smoked the point and made pastrami with the flat. Pastrami is great and unique with so many cuts, I would choose based on the other cook. Do you want burnt end or sliced flat?

Comment

I separate the point and flat, cure them separately. I like to desalinate for about 8 hours, apply the rub for 48-hours and then smoke it until about 202 F. I skip the steaming step altogether.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here