Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Koji rubbed brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koji rubbed brisket?

Has anyone tried marinating/rubbing a brisket in koji and letting it sit in the fridge for a few days before smoking it? I've done it with steaks, and they seem to carmelize on the outside faster, I was interested if the same would be true of a brisket -- i.e., better bark. Anyone experimenting with this?

I've done a few things using miso (koji is the mold spore that turns soybean into miso) but never heard of koji being used by itself. I'd be interested in knowing a little more. I suppose it's another way to break down the muscle fibers as a natural enzyme. I'm not sure it would be that effective on a large hunk of meat like a brisket, but again I'd like to hear the results.

Comment

• ATX_Ben
      ATX_Ben commented
      Editing a comment
      For steaks, I throw the koji into a food processor to turn it into a powder. Then you rub it on steaks and let them set in the fridge for 24-48 hours, wash it off, then cook as usual. (That's how I do it at least.) My guess is that you'd have to leave it on the brisket for a longer time. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of info online.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Why not try mixing it with salt? The salt would brine the meat, draw out moisture which would dissolve the koji, then both agents would be drawn back into the meat and tenderize the protein !!

Koji rice and koji sauce are different things. the sauce will cure the meat, so I'd leave it on overnight at most. I've never played with the powder.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Obviously, you need to try it and report back.

• ATX_Ben
      ATX_Ben commented
      Editing a comment
      Aye aye capn.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      We really do like reading about experiments members try. Looking forward to your write up.

I've used shio koji (koji, the mold grown on a medium, rice barley... then salted and fermented) as marinade for different meats and vegetables. Koji produces enzymes that break down starch, protein proteins and fats. You definitely get increased browning. Chicken wings are excellent for a few hours. I over did turkey leaving it to long and it was mushy. Skirt steak and pork chops are great for a few hours. I didn't really notice as much of an effect using dried rice koji blended up. I haven't gotten around to brisket and ribs but I imagine it will make a crust out of this world. Koji is a huge rabbit hole to go down. The Noma guide to Fermentation and Koji Alchemy are good guides. The Noma beef and chicken wing garum recipes are incredible. Koji Alchemy just came out those guys are growing koji directly on meat and vegetables for an enzymatic breakdown faux aging. I plan to try the vegetables but the protein is a bit
    scary. Throwing a bit into fermentations like hot sauce add a depth of flavor. There's some pics of koji grown on pearl barley, shio koji marinated wings, and beef garum.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_160510.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	846080Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_184848.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	846081Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_134645.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	846082Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_151207.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	846083

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here