Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit! I agree with RonB go with a chuck or English roast. Very good and not as $$$

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit. I suggest that you try smoking an English roast, (called a chuck roast in the US). It is much more forgiving than a brisket when smoking, and very tasty. Smoke it 'till it's probe tender, (95C - 99C), and then pull it. If you would prefer to slice it, take it off a degree or two sooner.

Leave a comment:

• Razor
    commented on 's reply
    Anything measured under a foot long (nuts and bolts) metric make sense. Anything longer than a foot, not so much.

(See what I did there?)

• Texas Larry
    replied
    Welcome from Texas! Enjoy the brisket quest. I don’t usually wrap brisket during the cook, but sometimes wrapping after you have a good bark does help with juiciness. I’m sure you’ll have lots of good advice here.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    10-4 but fzxdoc gets metric, I've lived with metric over 50 years now and still haven't got a clue
    Excellent points especially on the cambo 30 mins is not ear enough time, 2-3 hour would be reasonable
    Last edited by smokin fool; May 13, 2020, 06:53 AM.

• Schwyy
    commented on 's reply
    So many conversions!

• klflowers
    replied
    What they said, and welcome to the pit.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Doing some conversions, you smoked the 2.2 lb brisket between 230 and 257°F on your smoker, removed it at 190°F internal, rested it for 30 minutes, and upon slicing found it dry.

A couple of questions
    1. Pre-cook: Did you dry brine the meat for 24hrs or more before cooking? Or inject with broth?
    2. During cook: Was the meat probe-tender when you removed it from the smoker?
    3. Post-cook: Did you wrap the meat when you allowed it to rest?

You might enjoy reading Meathead's article on smoking brisket over on the free side and follow those steps, some of which include these tips:

For best results, brisket should usually be
    dry-brined
    faux-cambroed for at least a couple of hours after removing from smoker
    sliced only as it is eaten, since slicing the whole piece at once causes it to dry out faster

That said, you had a really small piece, most likely from the flat--was it only a few inches thick? Flats tend to dry out but faux cambroing them can help preserve the moisture.

Some people chop brisket that is dry and add sauce to it for sandwiches with the leftovers.

One thing about brisket: once you get the hang of it you'll have some really delicious eating ahead.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; May 13, 2020, 06:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Schwyy
    replied
    What was the quality of brisket? I've made cheaper ones and some more expensive ones and the meat quality usually dictates juiciness. Also, I always find smaller cuts to be tougher to get right. Keep practicing keeping the temp steady, then pull the trigger with a larger more expensive brisket.

Leave a comment:

• kidbwapo
    started a topic Newbie Brisket Question

Newbie Brisket Question

Hey Guys
    Hope everyone is good. A newbie question that'll have been asked 1000 times before about Brisket....why did it come out dry when the therm said internal temp was 88C? I'm thinking either overcooking, meat too lean or too much salt in the rub.

Background:
    I have a Monolith Classic Kamado style grill.
    I was cooking a small brisket (1KG) as a test (first time out).
    Maintained a solid 110C - 125C throughout the cook.
    Smoked with hickory chips on lumpwood.
    Smoked for 7hrs and let the Brisket rest for 30mins.

Can provide more info if needed, just ask. How many things did I get wrong? I'm not thinskinned so feel free to be open and straight! Many thanks in advance
    KB

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here